Pentium M

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by howard, May 23, 2003.

1. howard macrumors 68020

howard

anyone know much about the pentium M? i hear its one of the fastest mobile processors around but all i have are small tidbits of info. any of you know much about it?

2. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

Centrino

Long and short. It is the processor for the Centrino setup. If a laptop has the centrino emblem, it also includes a air-port compatible transceiver.

The new Pentium M processors are neat in the respect that they only clock about 1.6GHz, but they have the performance near that of a 2.8GHz Pentium4. In this respect, I guess you could say that Intel will be a victim of the MHz Myth too. I have heard that this processor due to it's lower power use, and heat dissipation vs. performance may make it a candidate for a blade type server in the near future.

For more info, visit the Intel site, or visit the register web site.

Max

3. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

the centrino processors are also badass in that they draw like 1 freaking watt of power. centrino laptops are getting like 10 hr of battery life or something crazy like that. if there were actually, you know, a decent PC laptop designer in the world (sony comes to mind but not quite), they could give apple laptops a run for their money moreso than ever.

4. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

about 8 hours on the one of my friend ... ( 1.6 ghz version )

5. mim macrumors 6502

Geeze - I saw one advertised with a 13hour life!? :rolleyes:
    I Googled a bit for some specific info, but it's hard to come across anything decent. Less than 1 watt average power consumption is pretty damn impressive.

I've always wondered about this. Does Apple send hitmen out to knock off the other talented designers or something? :rolleyes:

6. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

Centrino and the Pentium M (Codename: Banias) was a big thing in PC magazines in the last few months. i got Atomic (Australian Mag) and it happened to have the info about the Pentium M & Centrino in there. i would recommend getting a PC mag and reading up about the Pentium M in there.

about there being no good PC laptop designers out there... there has to be a better reason than the PC companies having no good designers. especially with the Pentium M now having ridiculiously small cases i was hoping that some killer PC laptops would come out. but not yet. :( hey, if you've got to use a PC, it might as well be a good looking one. i did however read a review in Australian PC Authority the other day. it was of a 15.2" wide-screen laptop (sound familiar :rolleyes: ) that looked very much like the iBooks. it had white plastic and was mostly squared, unlike many other laptops, like the new VAIO with the thick back & thin front look.

7. methdxman macrumors member

Compaq Presario x1000 (x1001us)

Hi, i'm just a guy kinda deciding between a Pc laptop and a powerbook etc...

Compaq has come out with an excellent laptop. It's not as pretty as the Powerbook, but it's made out of aluminium, it's only 1.3 inches thick and is only about 6.5 pounds. You'll get faster speed and better battery life out of this laptop than a G4, although the G4 is probably designed much better and is a lot cooler. Check it out at the compaq website and tell me what you guys think.

Oh yeah, it has a Pentium-M in it and has the Centrino "certification" with the built in wireless... optional built in bluetooth on the wireless card... 15.4 inch widescreen with 3 different resolutions available. DVD+CDRW available soon for it. ATI 9200 with 64 megs...

Compaq's website doesn't have too much info on it, but the press-releases of this new laptop has more info if you guys search for x1000 or x1001us. Anyway there's only one configurable model on the website...

etc. etc.

8. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

Re: Compaq Presario x1000 (x1001us)

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Fairy tales will come true.
    It can happen to you,
    If you're young at heart.

The only way that Centrino can run at 1 watt is for the processor to be in deep energy saver mode in which case it is doing nothing useful.

10. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

1 watt of power is impresive. very impresive. but does it actually do that? or do you have to just leave it there not doing everything for it to do it?

11. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

There really is no MHz myth. It's just that cache tends to more than make up for a certain amount of MHz.

I'd probably take any processor available today with 25% less MHz if you're going to give me 100-200% more L1, 2, or 3 cache.

All of the high end processors, Power4, etc. compete with enormouse L3 caches, take that away, and MHz will generally rule.

12. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Basically, here's what Intel did:

Take a Pentium III
    Add more cache (1MB L2), so it doesn't hit main memory as often (main memory apparently uses more power)
    Add a 400MHz bus (from the P4)
    Add a ton of power saving features (like turning off parts of the chip that aren't in use, etc...)
    Add SSE2 instructions

Result: Pentium M

13. hacurio1 macrumors regular

Re: Compaq Presario x1000 (x1001us)

Sounds Good, but I didn't see a price. How much?

14. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Re: Re: Compaq Presario x1000 (x1001us)

They aren't cheap in PC terms, especially when you compare GHz. I've seen 1.5 GHz Centrino laptops in the upper $2,000 range.

15. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

thanks for the info. that's hilarious. really, intel hasn't come out with anything "new" since the PIII. i hate that. was the PIII even "new?" did it have anything innovative in it other than higher speeds? (not that that is)

anyways, i wish apple would put the 1 MB of cache in L2 on the G4s. wouldn't that increase performance?

16. methdxman macrumors member

17. ilben77 macrumors newbie

So... what is the problem that they did came up with something new? I mean if it works it works. and they do seem to deliver, unlike the stuck g4

18. ilben77 macrumors newbie

a little typo

So... what is the problem that they did NOT came up with something new? I mean if it works it works. and they do seem to deliver, unlike the stuck g4

19. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

they deliver because no one else does. and everyone is ok with that. so they don't have any pressure to come up with new ideas. don't compare it to the G4. the G4 is the most terrible example of intel-ism at its worst, minus support for DRM. that Apple was duped by them is a tragedy, but sheesh. just pray for IBMs...

20. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

the P-M is actually not a P3 core, but based on a very similar archetecture. They added 1MB of L2 cache, and 400MHz bus, new instructions, improved speedstep, so as the processor actually turns off part of the FSB that it isn't using, it also turns on and off parts of the processor between keystrokes... this, and the fact that they added a lot more features like an enhanced data-prefetch unit makes this processor awesome. Intel is going to make the 1.7Ghz available soon, as they will intoduce the "dothan" processor on the .09 micron die with 2MB of L2 cache. That will be a screemer. Hope the PPC 970's will not produce too much heat so they can be put in laptops. I have a feeling they're going to run pretty hot. But i have no proof of that.

21. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

the stuff you say is cool, but everything you said about the M has been said already. it's like you contradicted yourself.

anyways, i've actually heard somewhere, i think, that the 970 draws less power than the G4. so there may be hope.

22. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

yea... i know i said a lot of the stuff over, but i just wanted to put down everything... sorry if it seemed excessive.

23. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

no problem, it just kinda weirded me out that you said it wasn't P3-based and then basically said it was, only with the core changes you mentioned, which had all been mentioned ('cept for the speedstep parts). either way though. Centrino isn't bad, it's just not as great as it could be if Intel put some R&D into coming up with something really new.

which, granted, the PPC970 isn't anything new, but it's at least something watered down from something much much cooler.

24. methdxman macrumors member

The Pentium-M is built from the ground up and made for laptops. It wasn't adapted from anything else (at least according to intel). And just by the looks of it, you can tell they put plenty of r&d in it because it doesn't take up that much power, is fastest laptop processor currently available...

25. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

the hell are you talking about? don't troll dude. it's not built from the ground up. nothing's been built from the ground up for like 20 years. especially at intel. it's still a Pentium for god's sake! they didn't put that much R&D into it either. they just added more speedstep into it, a technology they already had, and put more L2 cache into it, something that doesn't exactly require "R&D," and so on. of course they wouldn't advertise it's adapted from something else. they never told you that the pentium 4 was slower than the P3, either.