Pentium V ?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Dr. No, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Dr. No macrumors regular

Looks like Intel is replacing its P4 chip next year...

This link from the Inquirer tells some details about Intel's Pentium V Processor, but it looks like it won't be ready for a while.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11785
    (It is also mentioned on Tom's)

2. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i laugh at your 400Mhz FSB!
    ha!
    oh wait, that's my whole G3 processor:(

3. Dr. No thread starter macrumors regular

4. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I'll believe it when I see it, didn't Motorola boast some pretty big claims when it was working on thier "G5"? 4000mhz frontside bus is just insane, that's gonna be one hot (temperature) machine.

5. beefcake macrumors 6502

I find that amusing coming from a company that couldn't even deliver the 7457 G4 after, what, a year and a half of development?

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yep, Moto Sucks.

:eek:

The Pentium 4 (Intels own reports) said by the end of the year will not Reach (more then) 3.6 GHZ/

And then we are at 5 GHZ?

:confused:

Tell me... If a 5 GHZ chip has a 4000 FSB... what is wrong with this data?

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

What I want to know is when the Sextium is going to come out.

8. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, if they can be at 64 bit, with a 4 GHZ FSB, and speeds of 5-7 GHZ on the processor with a 90 nanometer process.

Intel will again push speeds that will kill Apple's.

9. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

My god that is insane, but the thing is. Intel and M$ like to tell people what they will be doing in 5 years time and Apple doesn't so who knows what will be next for apple. But these specs are true then OMG watch out apple

10. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

riiiiiggghhhht....

A 4GHZ FSB?
    2MB of L2 Cache??
    All on 90nm proccess?
    Windows Elements (like photoshop Elements??)
    Something like that would end up costing thousands of dollars, like Itanium.

And I bet the P6 will have 128-bit exentions...blablabla....

Those guys need put down the bong already.:rolleyes:

11. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

LOL! i think that it was a typo and it is supposed to be 400mhz. ig it were 4Ghz, they wouldnt have but MHz.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I guess that it will be best to just wait and see the timing of the actual Pentium V. Then it see what actual performance it will provide.

13. howard macrumors 68020

howard

14. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

That would be odd, since they're already at 800MHz, getting ready to go to 1000MHz.

15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

BUT would it make *more* sense to suddendly increase by over 3000MHZ or Quadruple it?

:eek:

16. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the secret meaning of the name Pentium.;)

17. Macco macrumors regular

Well I suppose pent=five but was there ever a "Quadrium" or a "Triium"? Or did they exist but those names weren't used at the time? (like how there's no G2 processor)

18. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

No, Intel's PC processor history is much like Motorola's (68000, 68030, etc.)

The original IBM PC processor was called the 8088, then came 8086, 80286, 80386, 80486.

By that time other companies (Cyrix, AMD) were starting to make clone processors and also calling them 386 and 486. Intel could do nothing since numbers are not copyrightable, so they called the 586 the Pentium.

It was at that time that many people joked that the next chip ought to be the Sextium. (Anyone remember the line from "Mission Impossible" about the 686 prototype with artificial intelligence?)

Intel disappointed us by bringing out the Pentium II, then Pentium III, IV, etc.

Oh well.

...actually I think it technically should be the Hextium chip.

19. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

No, sextium seems appropriate.

Your "first time" with the sextium. It wasn't as good as you expected, it didn't perform like you'd like, it burned you in the end, and you found out you caught a virus the next day.

20. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

If the P V is delayed just like it´s fiancee Longhorn, there will be a lot of room for Apple and IBM to grow...

21. howard macrumors 68020

howard

oh my dear lord,
    give this man a medal

22. Cubeboy macrumors regular

Hmm, thats interesting, I've always expected Prescott (which is still scheduled to be released 4Q this year) to be named Pentium V given all the new features that are going to be in it.

Judging to the features and clockspeeds (Prescott was expected to scale to 4+ GHz, not anywhere near 7 GHz) the Inquirer seems to be referring to the CPU after Prescott, currently known as Tejas, which, given the timespan could very well have those features.

23. Cubeboy macrumors regular

Not really that extravagent given the timespan, Intel's current 130 nm process Pentium 4 Extreme CPUs already have a 2MB on-die L3 cache (along with 512K L2 cache) and are still priced at around $700. Moving to a 90nm process/ decreasing the die size, would invariably decrease the manufacturing cost further.

90nm cpus are not very far off, IBM is already producing 90nm Xilinx FPGAs and Intel is scheduled to produce Prescott in 90nm which itself is scheduled for release 4Q 2003. That Tejas will be manufactured in 90nm (rather than 65 nm) in mid-late 2004 shouldn't come as much of a surprise. I expect to see 90nm PPC970s at this time as well.

We've already confirmed that Prescott has built in 64 bit capabilities from this article so it would be pretty reasonable to assume that Tejas will have it as well.

Oh and Intel IS coming out (or have already come out) with LV Itanium 2s which are priced slightly more than a Pentium 4 so it would be very reasonable to assume that Pentium V would priced along the lines as a Itanium :D .

24. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Actually, everything is reasonable except for the bus speed, which is ridiculous. There is no way that Intel will jump from 800 MHz to 4 GHz that quickly.

And if you look at the how they scale their bus...800 MHz bus is used for a 3.06 GHz processor, right?

That's about a 3.75x scale (slightly more). Even if they decide to make the scale 3x, then we're talking 12 GHz processors.

A 4 GHz processor is reasonable next year--not a 4 GHz bus, though. I really doubt we're going to see a 1:1 bus-processor ratio.

25. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

although i still can't believe the bus speeds of the G5s, that is correct in every single way possible.