Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
This isn't news we've known this since day one. There's actually a thread on here about it.

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
It was only a matter of time. Apple are foolish with their iPad Pro setups. They have security around the iPad but not the accessories, then they leave them AT THE FRONT of the store. I was waiting for someone to start doing this. (SMH)

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Apple are foolish with their iPad Pro setups. They have security around the iPad but not the accessories, then they leave them AT THE FRONT of the store. (SMH)
Apple knows how to market products better than any other company.

Losing pencils to theft makes money for Apple.

Every pencil stolen is eligible to be written off on Apples taxes.

Make no mistake, Apple calculates every move they make very carefully. :D

Reactions: Xprmntr

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Whoever is stealing them should consider that these are bluetooth devices with a unique MAC address and when paired with the iPad Pro are capable of 'phoning home' to report their location. Fortunately for the thieves, Apple are big on privacy and are unlikely to track the Pencils but they could very easily disable stolen Pencils remotely without violating privacy.

So my advice to anyone buying a Pencil is to ensure you get it in original packaging and ideally from a reputable source.

Personally I like the fact that Apple are so trusting and don't have security cables on the accessories or ugly plastic security boxes wrapped round their hard drives etc like you see in the likes of PC World. I'd hate to see that change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.