Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superkatalog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
switzerland
i'm looking for people from japan.

can you please tell me 5 things that you are proud of being japanese and 5 things you are ashamed of being japanese. in other words: a simple what's good and what's bad list about japan from your personal perspective (society, politics, media, food, nature, technology,.....). whatever you like.

we have a course at university about finding some kind of japan. not the real japan, but our personal japan.

thanks very much in advance.!

adrian.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
superkatalog said:
i'm looking for people from japan.

can you please tell me 5 things that you are proud of being japanese and 5 things you are ashamed of being japanese.

we have a course at university about finding some kind of japan. not the real japan, but our personal japan.

thanks very much in advance.!

adrian.
I would like to help.

However, I am a US citizen who happens to live in Japan.

BTW, I am not sure exactly what you are looking for. You might want to clarify things a bit so that our Japanese MR members will understand what you want.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
superkatalog said:
thanks.! that would be very helpful.
Remember, I am not Japanese, so this comes from a foreigner's perspective.

Here are some pros and cons.

Pros:

- Food. It's simply fantastic and all kinds. Japan takes from the rest of the world and makes it her own.

- Safety. It is a very safe country. You don't have to worry about situations like you do in the states for example.

- Public transportation system. Simply put it is fantastic. Safe and efficient method of traveling.

- Electronics. If you like electronics, this is heaven. And if you are a gagget freak, well this is beyond heaven.

Cons:

- Fake politeness. They smile and bow politely but that doesn't neccesarily indicate what they mean.

- Roads are crowded. Traffic is slow. This would be a great place for electric cars since you spend most of your time stopped in traffic. Probably why they have such a good public transportation system.

- Toilets. Traditional ones are squaters so you have to squat to use them. Not the easiest thing to do mind you.

- Polution. I live near Tokyo. Sometimes it reminds me of a big city in the US like LA. You can see the smog.

One that is both a Pro and a Con is that they are process oriented. When the process is good, it's fantastic. When it's not, it sux.

Well I hope this helps. Again, this is from a foreigner's perspective. I think that it would be much better to get a local Japanese person's view if possible.

superkatalog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
switzerland
sushi said:
Remember, I am not Japanese, so this comes from a foreigner's perspective.

Here are some pros and cons.

thank you very much sushi. that was really helpful.
i hope someone who is Japanese will respond too.

G99

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2006
I'm half Japanese, and lived in Japan for 9 years, so I'm pretty close to a "japanese" person.
5 things I am proud of:

1. Not a single Japanese person is a jerk. Thats what I like about Japanese. Of all the japanese people I met, they were all really easy to become friendly with. I find that in England (where I live now), lots of people drive me nuts :mad:

2. Tokyo is, in my opinion, the most organised city in the world. It's the only city I feel relaxed in, unlike London, which is a sham. Public transport is excellent, and the roads, and pavements are amazingly maintained. This maintenance also makes you feel really safe.

3. Japan is a very technologically advanced country. Technology, such as buying stuff from stores by "swiping" a card, makes me proud. Tokyo, especially makes any other city (with a few exceptions :p ), look decades behind.

4. To me, I find London has some very stupid people. i.e "chavs" :rolleyes: If you live in London, please don't take this offensively, after-all, I live in London, and am English! When, in Japan, I feel everyone is a lot smarter, and I don't feel in danger of people in public :p . In London, if you walk past some chavs, they stare at you, trying to be intimidating, when really, they are making a fool of themselves ;)

5. Food is amazing. I love all Japanese food, be it sashimi, or "suki-yaki". What more can I say!?

1 thing I don't really enjoy:

1. The stereotypical view everyone has of japanese people. What I hate is when people think I'm half chinese.

Thats pretty much it. I'll think of more later ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.