people have the 15" PB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by El Duderino, Jun 8, 2004.

1. El Duderino macrumors member

Mar 29, 2004
    i just want to get a final opinion from people with new new 1.5ghz PB. is there anything your regretting or have a reason to complain about? thanks
  2. Mr. G4 macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

Mar 29, 2002
    Rohnert Park, CA
    I am very happy with my PB 1.5 GHz.
    The only regret that I would have would be the HD option for a faster one, but it was a deal that they had at my University so I had the get the base model, but like I said I am very happy with it. :)
  3. crowdaddy macrumors regular

Mar 25, 2004
    East Ontario
    Did you try the 17" before you picked up your 15"? Is the only difference between the two the bigger screen? A 17" screen would be AWESOME for watching dvds and playing games...
  4. citizenchunk macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2003
    no regrets about buying it. i'm glad i'm not still waiting for the "all-mighty G5 powerbook," like some lunatics. those people will be waiting for a while, methinks.

my one regret--and heed my advice--is not opting for the 128MB VRAM upgrade. i doubt i'll ever really need it, as i don't do any 3d stuff. but had i known that it is only $50, i would have done it just to increase resale value. just get it. you're already dropping over 2K on this thing.
  5. aricher macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2004
    I have the 17" PB 1.33 - I have used my biz. partner's 15" from time to time and find it to be just too small. The 17" is totally portable, easy to balance on the legs - easier than the 15 IMHO. If it were up to me I'd go for the 17 over the 15 any day.
  6. Mr. G4 macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

Mar 29, 2002
    Rohnert Park, CA
    I had the 17" 1.33GHz for about 3 weeks, I bought it to bring to Europe for my brother, I saved him about $1000.
    I loved it but think it's quite big to bring around with my bag pack.
    For sure it's nice to watch DvD on it, the screen quality is amazing.
  7. solaris macrumors 6502a

Apr 19, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    I bought the Rev. B 15" PB the day it was released.
    No regrets, its a wonderfull computer.

That said, I have a lot of "sticky" keys on my keyboard. Its already been one trip to The Netherlands, but not fixed because they was unable to reproduce.
    Go figure! :eek:
  8. spasticmutant macrumors member

May 2, 2004
    Santa Clara
    Glorious Apple 15"

It's Glorious. Totally, unequivocally Glorious. I've named mine Bender, after the robot on Futurama. The screen is perfect, no broken pixels, I upgraded everything but the hard drive and it's just fine, thank you. I have a bunch of accessories and they all just...worked!

Yesterday I accidently left unplugged my Airport Extreme Wireless router during some reconfiguration, and Bender silently joined my anonymous neighbor's open, free, unconfigured wireless network. I had an iChat phone call, web surfing, email, a few downloads, installed the latest Security Update, and never noticed anything was "wrong". It was so easy I never realized my own wireless service was down!

I love my Bender. He's been nothing but a joy since he arrived. :) And yes, if he were human, I'd marry him - though I do hate cigar smoke. :eek:

Anne Marie :eek:
  9. OziMac macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2003
    Anne Marie,

Great to hear someone so gushing about the new 15" - so many others have been griping about size (viz 17"), battery life, performance and portability (viz 12") - but I think that signs point to it being a truly awesome Powerbook that combines the better traits of both the 12" and 17" - and I can't wait until mine arrives :)

So thanks for your welcome words of admiration - but I don't think I'll be calling this one "Fry" after my old Rev A 12" ;)
  10. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2003
    my PB is top of the line, but i would up the ram to as much as you can afford. it makes a big difference for more powerful apps.
  11. Godfather macrumors member

May 11, 2004
    Although I generally complain alot, I have the PB 15" and I love it. It has 1 gig of ram, 128 mb vram, 5400 rpm HD and it's all wireless. I love it. The only problem which I am getting is when I am typing sentences, like in a chat app, sometimes it erases the whole sentence by itsself, and no... I am not pushing any buttons 'accidentally'. I don't know what it is... Also, if you are a sweaty person like me, you will find it difficult operating the trackpad. It goes good 9 out of 10 times, but when it's hot, then you're screwed. My opinion is to get an external mouse, or rip it off your desktop :]

Sure there are downsides like battery and heat, but every PB has that...
  12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Well, I have the 1.25GHz 15", and my brother has the 1.5GHz 17", can we combine our thoughts into one reply? :D
  13. netytan macrumors 6502

May 23, 2004
    A little off topic but thats why i ended up ordering the 12" iBook a few days ago. Though if i had the money right now i'd have to get the 15" PowerBook. It really is a great machine and as somone else mentioned "it combines the best features of the 12" and 17" models". If you have the money, get it, i'm sure you'll be very happy with it :D.

Combine away counterfit ;)

14. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    I've got a 15" 1.5 G PB and I think it is perfect. The 17 is too big, and the 12 is TINY (IMO). I've got 1 Gb of ram, the faster HD, and 128 mb of vram.

I've done some stuff with both Garageband and with iMovie/iDVD and it works brilliantly. With professional video editing etc. I'm sure it would be WAY behind a PM, but that's not the point.

15. El Duderino thread starter macrumors member

Mar 29, 2004
    sure, go for it

and thank you all for your insights. now that they actaully said that g5 powerbooks wont come this year im going to wait till the end of the month to get one, for 2 reasons.

1)a cool new portable might be released...tablet (although it is doubtful)

2)my dad just dropped 1k on a cheap PC for my mom to do e-mails (go e-machines! :rolleyes: )
  16. atari1356 macrumors 68000

Feb 27, 2004
    I have the 1.5Ghz 15" with 128meg vram and 5400rpm hard drive... I love it. I tried the 12" and 17", and both of those are nice too, but I felt that the 15" was the best compromise between portability and screen size/features.

My one complaint is that I have a single pixel that's stuck on blue, but I don't notice it that often so it doesn't bother me much. Still, it would be nice if the screen were perfect.

So far, with this computer I've: designed and built a web site, published a few hundred articles and photos on another web site, used GarageBand to record a guitar song I wrote years ago (my wife is pregnant and the baby seems to like it because she moves around a lot when we play it for her), made signs for my wifes birthday, organized my entire CD collection with iTunes (used a desktop PC to do the importing before I got the PowerBook - then copied it all over), gotten myself more organized with iCal, and used HandBrake to rip a few of my DVD's (Tron, Time Bandits, Futurama Season 1) so that I can watch them on my computer when traveling without having to bring the DVDs.

Also, I'm a big fan of Futurama, and Anne Marie's post has inspired me to name my PowerBook "Calculon". :D
  17. wide macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2004
    atari1356, you will probably be able to fix that stuck pixel of yours! take a palm pilot stylus, and gently massage that pixel for a couple of seconds. hopefully it will pop back into place and work properly during that time. i have fixed several of stuck pixels on my pismo through that method. good luck!

you can also use your hand if you do not have a palm pilot stylus, just be careful about not damaging your screen
  18. VooDooPope macrumors member

Jun 9, 2004
    The Heights, Houston TX
    Due to my soaked G3 Pismo PB (see ) I'm in the market for a new lap top. My supplier has a new in box 15" G4 1.25 ghz superdrive and 512 ram for $2000. Considering I paid $3499 for my old laptop in June 2000 and it never gave me a moments trouble. I'm hoping to get the same life out of my new 15" G4 for a fraction of the cost.
  19. atari1356 macrumors 68000

Feb 27, 2004

I previously tried using my finger to get the stuck pixel to go away, but nothing happened. I don't have a palm pilot stylus, but my Wacom tablet pen seemed just as good so I tried that and after probably 30 seconds of gently massaging the pixel off and on, it seems to be going away. Right now it's much dimmer and kind of flickering, maybe with some more massaging it will disappear for good. :)

EDIT: the bad pixel is gone completely now, hopefully it doesn't come back... thanks again
  20. djkny macrumors 6502

Sep 30, 2003
    BTO options worth it?

Is it worth the extra $200 for one 512 RAM SO-DIMM, the 5400 rpm HD and the 128MB Vram?

I bought a 15" 1.5 a week ago and had to exchange for another -- it had a seriously defective aluminum case (warped and all). The powers that be are granting me the option of paying extra $$ to get a BTO (which I didn't do the first time).

I'm only afraid that I'll get this BTO and it'll have a dead pixel, warped trackpad or any number of quirks that I can't exchange/return anymore precisely because it's BTO.

What do you all think?
  21. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    Go for it!

Even if a BTO is defective Apple will swap it back. (I'll spare you the diatribe on contract law!) You'd probably have to take exactly the same config as the BTO you got originally, but so what?

22. El Duderino thread starter macrumors member

Mar 29, 2004
    since im buying this computer from bestbuy (to get my discount which is just a little bit more than the edu. discount and to get the BestBuy service plan) i cant get BTO it possible to upgrade the HD afterwards? becuase that 4200 just wont cut it. and im pretty sure i can make the assumption that i cant upgrade the video card but ill ask anyway
  23. OziMac macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2003
    Does Best Buy not allow you to do BTO through them? I thought they'd still take the order but process it themselves through Apple? Anyway, if you are resigned to off the shelf models, then you're a little bit stuck. Given the reason you're taking Best Buy is because of the service plan, I suspect if you were able to pop open the PB and replace the hard drive with a faster one, you would have also voided your Apple warranty, and most probably your Best Buy one too.

If you don't necessarily need speed on the run, then an external Firewire drive is probably the best way to go. I can't see you getting much video joy, but apparently for most applications at this stage the performance difference is much of a muchness.

Anyway - let us know what you decide and how you go about it - very interested!
  24. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2004
    So. Cal
    I did a BTO 15" last November (1.25 GHz), to get the faster HD. I can up the RAM myself.

I love it, haven't had any problems with it. Got the Brenthaven case for it. And have a screen overlay to prevent the common complaint of keyboard imprint on LCD.

Get the best you can afford, upgrade what YOU can later.
  25. El Duderino thread starter macrumors member

Mar 29, 2004
    the reason im getting it from bestbuy is becuase i work there, my discount takes it down to 2360, and getting the bestbuy service plan (also highly discounted, cheaper than apple care and it covers the battery) helps as well...also my dad has a special deal with corporate BB through his job and he currently has about 1000$ in gift cards. so that pretty much speaks for itself. :D