People Party Vs. Money Party

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jelloshotsrule, Dec 8, 2006.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Who's Who Among the Democrats?

i thought this was a good take on where the democrats fall in terms of real backbone to stand up to corporate interests, etc. there are some obvious ones, and some lesser known.. pretty interesting.

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Is that good? If so, why?

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

never said good or bad, just that the money party will win. like it always does. It doesnt need to be explained. you disagree?

5. Queso macrumors G4

He's got a point. If there's one certainty in life, every politician can be bought if the amount is large enough.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm amazed to find myself not quite as irretrievably cynical as you, for once. :)

7. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i actually don't think that *every* politician can be bought. however, i do believe that a large enough % of them can be that the ones that can't will be outweighed/outmuscled/outspent in the long haul.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

And allways will until we get rid of lobbiest and the $$$ the bankrolls the campaigns. Congress is nothing but prostitutes to big business.

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I dont find it cynical, its just the way it is.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Ultimately that reflects your view of human nature.

11. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Political lobbying must be outlawed, as well as campaign contributions over $500, before (if ever- before it's too late) the people will govern the U.S.A.
    Otherwise the government will have us fighting WW III over some financial interest on the other side of the world...

Thing is, politicians think the world is better off in thier hands and the people can't be trusted!:eek:

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You also don't live in the US. ;)

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm also quite surprised to find myself agreeing with you. :p

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Interesting about Evan Bayh being on the "Money" side, especially since he intends to run for president. Guess that's another one I'll cross out.

Sherrod Brown, Kaptur, Kucinich and others, I'm not surprised about. Ohio is a real working class state, and even though Ohio has voted way too Republican in recent years, when they do vote Democrat, they pick some good ones.

15. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Political lobbying must be outlawed? No more lobbying by the Sierra Club, or Gay Pride?

There is a website with a breakdown of donations to all political parties. It's been a while since I last looked; maybe during the 2004 campaign; I disremember.

Anyhow, there were more individuals giving $100,000 or more to the Democrats than to the Republicans. There were more sub-$200 donations to the Republicans than to the Democrats.

Seems to me that the makeup of the donors is as meaningful as the total amounts accumulated...

'Rat

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Depends on the state, region and particular candidates. Contribution heterogeneousness is nothing new.

17. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Both Republicans and Democrats can be bought and not caught easily. Which is why I prefer to stick to grassroots economics.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Doesn't surprise me. There are some awful Dems out there, some not so bad Reps even. Look at Lincoln Chaffee (course, he's out now, so what do I know). Dems get accused of being too liberal, but most of them are anything but. Unfortunately, they're "moderate" in all the wrong ways. Often bandwagoning to suit their own needs, just as corrupt and self serving as the rest, trying to justify their crimes. Meanwhile, real problems go on without being fixed, getting worse, not even being dealt with in some cases.

19. Queso macrumors G4

There's only one way to fix the mess. Keep voting out every incumbent unless he/she is there for the people, and the moment a People Party member goes to the other side, out they go again. Send a consistent message that the electorate simply won't stand for it.

The Money Party has the Mass Media, but the People Party has the Internet. The message can get out.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

What if the challenger is worse? I find myself often voting for who is the lesser of the evils, not people I actually like. They all disappoint, the whole system is screwed.

Soon, we will collapse under our own weight. Enjoy the ride down. We may even survive.