People seem to be switching

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by drastik, Jul 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

I was by CompUSa today to buy some cabel, and I got a chance to talk to the apple tech that they have working there. Something was wrong looking, and it took me a minute to figure it out. Lo and behold, there was not a single tower on the floor. I asked if the had been EOL'd and he wouldn't say. I asked where they all were, and he said that he had sold them all. Even the floor models. He had one 800 he was using in the back that he could sell, otherwise he had to wait for shipment. Appearantly he sold thirty something in just over a week:D He only had three iMacs, One TiBook and One iBook, no iPods and very few eMacs.

I guess something is working:D

fixed typo

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'm happy to hear that. The most recent time I checked out CompUsa was around 4 or 5 years ago, and I did not see one Mac product. I'm starting to wonder if either (1) Comp does not have as many Mac products, or (2: What I think would be favored) Comp is gettin' their fair share of dough and inventory! :D :cool:

3. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

Re: People seems to be switching

okay, if you weren't from the states, I wouldn't flame you. But since you are, please fix that GLARING type-o in the title of the thread.

People seem to be switching.

;)

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

iH8Quark, leave him alone. Do you expect people to type perfect in the forums?

And, if you don't like it, don't read it.

B3ciedz, ownlie modoraders cin ficks titel thraedz! :D :D

5. iPat macrumors member

This is a repost from another page but I think it is appropriate to repost since it's my take on why I'm having a hard time switching.

I am a PC user who really is interested in switching to a Mac. My biggest problem with the Mac is the price to performance ratio. I currently use a Dell 4100 with a 933 P-III, 512 MB of ram, an 80G HD and a GeForce-3. The original box cost me ~$900.00 a little over 18 months ago and I added the GeForce3 and 80 Gig HD after that. My problem is now, 18 months later, SJ is trying to sell me the same technology for $1400.00 more that what I paid for my PC (and w/o a monitor). We can argue all day about the differences between PPC and x86 and all that, but I still have the perception that I'm getting screwed! If we look at the total cost of a me (and I would say an average PC user) to switch, roughly, just for the basics, $2300.00 more for the same technology w/o a monitor, another $460.00 for MS Office, $600.00 for Adobe Photoshop7, $70.00 for Norton’s anti-virus). My total cost to migrate would be $ 4830.00. For that kind of money, myself and most PC users who are interested in switching to a Mac either can't afford to, or, just don't see the value. Why not an iMac? I'm a gamer and for the same price performace reasons they are not appealing either. I am starting to hate MS, but the truth is that WinXP is extremely stable (never had a problem yet - although WinMe was a disaster!). I think for apple to pull more PC users over to Mac, they are going to have to, even if it's at a more expensive price (but not double!!), sell computers that are roughly equivalent to an "average" PC in both performance and options. Apples biggest problem I think is that they have made switching so unappealing that PC users who WANT to switch still just can't do it. We can argue about quality and this an that, but like I said, my PC is very stable, pretty quick and hasn't given me a single problem yet! I'm looking forward to a PowerMac update as long as they're not trying to sell me a 1.2 G4 for $2200.00 without a monitor (maybe I would pay that for G5 after seeing some benchmarks).

Remember, I'm a PC user who WANTS to switch, basically looking for any reason to switch, but still can't with the state of Mac processors and memory.

6. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

adfjdklue lfmsdu dfjo sdkdo dkjfdu slsep al d TYPO

7. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

why are you trying to switch then? sounds like you're pretty happy with your current config.

Don't know what to tell you, dude. you're in the same ship the rest of us are in. just wait and see what happens, i guess. i'm glad you're at least trying to convert, though. ;) I think apple will pull it off in the end, but for now...:rolleyes:

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

Grok, due knot waest poszs witdh langwige know won cin undirstand, ore yu mae git en trobel! :D :D :D :D

9. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Re: People seems to be switching

Or maybe something is NOT working!:eek:

Maybe Apple has been spooked by the crappy economy and has kept their supply chains *too* lean. Or maybe they're gearing up (or down :)) for some new hardware around the corner.

Lots of possibilties. I personally don't view this as evidence that people are switching.

Taft

10. Pin-Fisher macrumors member

Yea.....what he said..

Attached Files:

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

Pin-Fisher! Chill down and have a blue pepsi. :D

Attached Files:

12. Pin-Fisher macrumors member

Ummmmmmmmmmmm...looks good...

Thanks alot...now I have to run to Wa-wa.. :D :D

Attached Files:

13. iPat macrumors member

My reasons for wanting to switch are pretty simple. At least in PC terms my box is becoming out dated and it's time for a new one. I'm growing increasingly concerned about Billy Gates' invasion of my privacy and lack of security etc., what little experience I have with OSX has me hooked (I also have some experience with Linux and OSX would allow me to convince myself I didn't waste my time), I'm bored with windows, and I'm a grad student who works in a lab that is entirely Mac with many of the programs only available on Macs. It would be nice to reduce the amount of time I have to spend there already and do some work at home. I honestly believe that Apple has the best OS in the world and I believe it's only time till they catch up with the hardware! I guess, like the rest of you, I'll just have to wait. My point was more about how Apple, while saying they are trying to convert windows users, makes it very hard for people who really want to convert due to the price of there products. For most people price is always an issue. If the specs were similar between PCs and Macs, I could justify the extra expense for PPC and quality. But lesser technology for 2X the price just doesn't work!

14. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

~King Cobra..
    HAfd yosd gonas glime as newessd Peisermac :D

Hey ipat
    todays the day for taking posts form other threads and reposting them!

viola
    Aptly PUT! iPAT

uhh is iPAT a new APPLE, iAPP?

I think that you have stated a fact that exists for many people.

In the Pcheese world and the APPLE world.

We all want to get what we are being asked to pay for and need to feel as though its a fair purchase, without the air of manipulation.

Your concerns are VALID and fair.
    And they echo the sentiment of many others, I am certain.
    As do my concerns.

My greatest worry is that APPLE is not taking advantage of a situation that they themselves have worked so hard to create.

The climate created by APPLE which invites Pcheese users to SWITCH.
    Should NOT coincide with the hardware situation thats making MAC users angry and think of switching, many are, if you read some of the threads.

Wether or not you agree with those people is NOT the issue.
    The issue is what effect the current situation is having on possible new users and the MAC faithful.

And WHY is APPLE allowing these adverse conditions to continue?

Perhaps If APPLE came clean with their users as to the TRUE reasons for this ODD situation there would be less discontented people.

ALas it seems that subterfuge is the newest iAPP..LOL

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

Grok, eit iz knot profeshunil tu giv suzh a long speich liek thad. Et zounzs liek yu liek tu heare yurselv talck, wich iz a berie bad thingh un duh forarms. Yu boar uz tuo deth. :D :p :p :D

Well, Grok, I just checked out the forum and discovered something. Apparently 1 out of the first four posts on this thread makes up 25% of the first four posts! :p :p

But also that last one is where this BS started, and I think coversing ovour priviat mesagis works best for the both ov uz and everyone else. :cool:

16. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Forgive me. I don't usually flame. But...

What in blue heck are you blathering about?????

Taft

17. King Cobra macrumors 603

Hey, Taft, I'm glad you mentioned blue... :eek: :D

>(KC)Grok, eit iz knot profeshunil tu giv suzh a long speich liek thad. Et zounzs liek yu liek tu heare yurselv talck, wich iz a berie bad thingh un duh forarms. Yu boar uz tuo deth.

Have you seen the earlier part of the thread? iH8Quark seemed a little T'ed about the title of the thread, so I took it upon myself to joke around a little. Then the Grokmyster dropped a few lines.

>ovour priviat mesagis

I decided we better do this BSing in private, rather than on the forums, since we would have a few Tafts roaming about. :D :D

>Apparently 1 out of the first four posts on this thread makes up 25% of the first four posts!

I took that off a comedy application. Look for Uli's Moose. It's pretty damn funny.

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ha, you should take your own advice:D

19. King Cobra macrumors 603

Ouch! That hurts, man. Comin' from a newbie... :D

But, don't forget, Grok originally posted his little spam post as a completely separate post, instead of saying something halfway intelligent.

Ahh, who cares? Grok has been warned. I suggested to him Private messages. So, if he does it again you get to yell at him, not me.

Arr wae cleer ondis? :D :p :D :cool:

20. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

Oh sure...I see...blame your little domestic dispute on me why don't ya. It's like pin the crime on the black guy. :eek: :p :D ;)

21. King Cobra macrumors 603

I don't take racism like that, iH8Quark.

But you didn't have to brag a whole bit with the title of the thread. You said it yourself.

(>okay, if you weren't from the states, I wouldn't flame you. But since you are, please fix that GLARING type-o in the title of the thread.

People seem to be switching.)

If you see the black man do it, then the black man obviously did it. Blame him.

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Okay guys...

Please stop muking up this persons thread with yer petty stuff. We get it. Please don't flame me for wanting to get back to topic.

Feel free to flame me for my last posts on other threads where I was just talking about this very thing.

I want to buy a new Mac, but am turned off by the hardware vs. cost. It's not the CPU, it's the rest of the hardware. The video cards are adequate, but the drivers and game support aren't that great. I'd say just buy a PS2 or (ugh) xBox if you want to play games. I don't really, but I know most people do. And I just made a big deal somewhere else about Apples new pricing schemes and ATA, RAM, etc.

But the OS is much better than anything M$ has to offer (I, personnally, HATE XP and can barely tolerate 98 and 2000. ME sucked, too). The hardware's not really that slow for most stuff. A couple of months ago I was raving about the Dual Gig G4, ATA/66 notwithstanding.

As far as the software is concerned, you may be able to get upgrade discounts if you have, for example, a valid copy of Photoshop 5.5 or 6 for the PC and want to upgrade to 7 for the Mac. Not sure how that would work with M$ Office, but I'm planning on getting AppleWorks. It's basic, but okay for most stuff and you get a discount with a new Mac. Unless you get an eMac, iBook, or iMac, in which case it's free.

I'm about ready to pitch my PC out the window, but I have to keep it around for some stuff. VPC doesn't work for everything.

But you'll be happy you switched.

Now bring on the new G4 Towers.

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

the day you get wake up and get a clue, come talk to me :rolleyes:

the fact of the matter is, and its some good research, easily found, all threads outside of the community forum are encouraged to stay on subject. there was a great heated discussion of this.

so, my attempt to get things back on track - I've actually convinced two of my friends to convert to macs, made easier by bringing them to the mac store and seeing the machines for themselves.

D

24. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

Picture of myself

You better watch it, Bubba. :eek: :D

Attached Files:

• me.jpg
      me.jpg
      File size:
      6.5 KB
      Views:
  25. King Cobra macrumors 603

Quarkie, it's no difference than saying:

If the snake bit you, then obviously the snake did it. Blame him, if you can still talk. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.