Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
I think this is funny. In fact, I think it is downright hilarious.

People are selling G5s on eBay, including the Dual 2 GHz, which of course, haven't been shipped.

Some of them are even sellers with high ratings, but I think these are very humorous scams. I feel sorry for the people who actually go this route to buy their computers.

Link to ALL the AVAILABLE G5s--beware, this is just sad.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
"A fool and his money are soon parted"
-- um, er, I'm not sure who first said this. Shakespeare? P.T. Barnum? Microsoft?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
That is very sad, a pure profit motive. Certainly don't think they could be actual Mac fans. The greedy always seem to find new ways to make a buck. I hope that eBay will remove these, on the premise of when the product will be available!

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
it's called pre-selling, and it's an incredibly common practice. if one does this, one is supposed to say so in the auction, but usually people don't. my biggest problem is the people selling G5's that do not exist at all, like the sphere, etc...

pnw

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Yeah 8 GB of Ram...

That fully loaded.

The only way your getting a computer that cheap is if you stole it.

:(

paulwhannel -- Its not pre-selling if eBay is cheaper then what you can buy it at retailers for.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Originally posted by Doctor Q
"A fool and his money are soon parted"
-- um, er, I'm not sure who first said this. Shakespeare? P.T. Barnum? Microsoft?

I believe it was Benjamin Franklin. However, P.T. Barnum said "There's a sucker born every minute" which also applies here. :D

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
The scam guide is nice, but I think that something like it should be provided for free when you sign up with e-bay.

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
NYC
Well, if you don't have enough common sense to realize that if it sounds too good to be true....

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by MrMacman
paulwhannel -- Its not pre-selling if eBay is cheaper then what you can buy it at retailers for.

regardless of who has the better price, if a seller offers something that they cannot possibly have in-hand yet, as the item has not shipped/been released, it's a pre-sale. usually they can just drag their feet a bit in communicating with you, until the product *does* ship, but if it hits last-minute delays, you'll get the runaround treatment. i find that dishonest presellers are one of the most annoying parts of ebay.

pnw

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Buying macs on ebay has always been bad.

Even when authentic G5s end up on ebay they will sell for more than retail value. Any relatively new mac (within the past 2 1/2 years) can be found for the same price or less outside of ebay.

I would never buy a mac on ebay, the only reason I bought my G4 off ebay was because I was not only naive about mac shopping, but also because it was the best deal ive ever seen for a mac on ebay (to this day). It has a error where it froze when it went to sleep, and I bought it because nobody wanted it because of the error, and it was an OS 9 only error. :D

But the same system was selling for the same price somewhere else a month later.

If I was to buy a mac right now I would start at dealmac.com and go from there.

scem0

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Originally posted by Waluigi
Also, on the same level of stupidity: Some one is selling the G5 teaser Poster. Bidding is up to $35!!!

I have one of these hanging up on the outside of my door for all to drool at, but then again, I got mine for free. $35!!!

--Waluigi

yeah, it's really pretty sad. where did you get yours for free? Did you get someone at an Apple Store to hand one over? I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those--for free, that is.

Of all the things being sold up there, I thought the worst was this.

Basically, the guy's selling a LINK to a place that he says you can get a dualie for around 300 bucks...Gimme a break.

scem0: I can see where you might go for it if you've got a good deal in your hands--but what's so terrible about this, in my opinion, is not just that it's pre-selling, but it's pre-selling of items that the manufacturer has not even shipped.

It's one thing if you hock a new copy of Photoshop that you haven't gotten into your hands yet (but have ordered!). It's entirely another to hock a computer that doesn't actually exist, for all practical purposes.

I've actually considered buying a couple of vintage macs. For example, I'd love to get my hands on an original Macintosh, the first Apple, or a Lisa...Just have to find a place to put it, in the case of the original Macintosh; just have to find one, in the case of the first Apple; and just have to find the cash, in the case of the Lisa, which is still going for upwards of $500.

Anyway, I think it's best to be a little skeptical when it comes to eBay--especially if it's waaay too good to be true.

Waluigi

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2003
Connecticut
Originally posted by themadchemist
where did you get yours for free? Did you get someone at an Apple Store to hand one over? I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those--for free, that is.

My friend went to WWDC, and he said they were just giving them out. I begged and begged him for it, and he finally caved in.

--Waluigi

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Originally posted by Waluigi
My friend went to WWDC, and he said they were just giving them out. I begged and begged him for it, and he finally caved in.

--Waluigi

cool stuff...Mac paraphenalia is always awesome...My dad dug up this old internal manual from Apple dating to the early nineties. I'm not quite sure what it's about--he said he'd found it, I haven't looked at it yet.

BrandonRP0123

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I'm surprised people aren't selling their ``spot'' in line for Dual 2Ghz machines. People do this with new automobile waiting lists all the time.

I guess an order on June 23rd for a dual 2Ghz just isn't worth giving up :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by themadchemist
cool stuff...Mac paraphenalia is always awesome
I got a fancy mailer from Oracle this week. They are promoting Oracle on Linux and they sent me a mousepad and a baseball cap with an armored Linux penguin and their "Oracle Makes Linux Unbreakable" slogan. I wonder what that cost them?

penguin.jpg

I wish Apple would send me unsolicited stuff too. Hey Apple - send me a baseball cap with the QuickTime "Q" on it!

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Originally posted by Doctor Q
I got a fancy mailer from Oracle this week. They are promoting Oracle on Linux and they sent me a mousepad and a baseball cap with an armored Linux penguin and their "Oracle Makes Linux Unbreakable" slogan. I wonder what that cost them?

penguin.jpg

I wish Apple would send me unsolicited stuff too. Hey Apple - send me a baseball cap with the QuickTime "Q" on it!

that would make a great avatar!!! now if I could only get my post count up...Please excuse me while I go spam:

apPLe r0XOrZ 4 LIfe! w00t

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.