PEOPLE vote with your wallet !! Don't buy an Apple made Computer until 2008

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AppleinJapan, Jun 6, 2005.

1. AppleinJapan macrumors regular

After the WWDC keynote address, who in their right mind would go out and spend money an an Apple now ??? I was going to buy a NEW G5 but Steve - Im waiting until 2008 man - I went through the last transition OS 9 to OS X 10.0.1 to now and thats it no more....

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

For god sake, get a grip. OS X will still be OS X. It will still only run on Apple produced boxes. If they didn't tell you what was running inside them YOU would never even know :rolleyes:

3. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Is this true?
    Surely there'll be a workaround?

4. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

i most likely will buy the next MAJOR update on the PB's

i doubt we will see any difference besides speed.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I will admit now, up front, before this goes any further that honestly I don't know that, but it is what I am 99.99999999% sure of. Hope I'm right :eek:

6. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    But that is where the money is. The broad consumer market is simple enough to see one number is larger than the other and choose.

If laptops are more expensive, they choose cheaper.
    If they are faster, they choose them.

For many consumers Apple have been the wrong end of the numbers for too long.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I need to take very good care of my iBook G4@800, yes... I'm NOT getting a Rev. A (or even B) 'Book with x86 inside, if ever... :eek:

Cannot see myself buying anything new until christmas 2006, now... if only my iBook doesn't die on me...

All I wanted was a Cell based laptop... :(

8. thedoc1111 macrumors regular

The only way there will NOT be a work around is if Apple use the DRM integrated on Pentium 4 Chips to lock the OS down. If they do, that will be the last Apple product I buy, seriously...

Otherwise, it will be easy - at worst you will just virtualise the computer using something like Xen...

9. Chimera macrumors 6502

If I was a high end user I would be annoyed as G5s are much better imo than Pentium 4's but for laptop owners this is great news, no more reliance on freescale and faster chips than G4's.

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

The big question is, will my old software work on the new Intel machines? If not, there's a VERY high likelihood that my next computer will be running Linux.

11. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

through emulation. yes. Rosetta is the name of it. it does the emulating of PPC -> x86. however the product maker can probably recompile and have it work with very few changes to the code, if any.

12. usclaneyj macrumors regular

we will be skating along on dual 4ghz Pentiums in no time. apple in japan, you say 2008 like that's when the first intel Mac will debut.. but it's really only a year away.. that's not so long.

however, i will definitely hold off on buying a mac until fall of '06!

13. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

yea i see apple losing a lot of money through this transition. i for one will not be buying a powermac like i was going to do. and i won't buy a first revision of anything, so i'm looking at like 2008 or so before i purchase another mac.

14. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

This thread does highlight a potential problem though...how will this announcement affect Apple's sales over the next few years? A computer system is a pretty big investment, and people may think twice about buying a PPC based Mac if they believe (rightly or wrongly) it'll become obsolete in a relatively short space of time.

Personally, I don't have any major concerns about the technical aspects of the switch (Apple wouldn't make such a move if they weren't confident it would be successful – surely?), but they're going to have to make sure it's properly marketed so potential Mac buyers know exactly what's going on.

Just my two-penneth worth.

15. iGary Guest

iGary

Is this X86 version of OSX as vulnerable to viruses as DOS?

I'm lost.

16. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Linux and BSD Unix both run on x86 without the virus problems that plague Windows. It's the OS that makes Windows so vulnerable. I've read of buffer overflows being exploited, but I'm hoping these issues will be addressed proactively.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree. I won't get another Apple computer until around that time. I think it was foolish to announce this so far in advance.

18. MhzDoesMatter macrumors regular

Relatively confused...what would you really gain by switching to linux?

19. brap macrumors 68000

They had to. Developers need to recompile code, so if they'd sprung it upon us -- nothing would run.

I thought I might lust for a new form factor Powerbook next time around, but now TBH -- 2008 is looking good for my next laptop. Maybe something based on an ARM.

20. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Guys, calm down. We're all [I think..] Apple fans here. We don't want the company to die. Holding off buying computers will not help the situation. Go about your normal habits, continue encouraging others to buy a mac. It's all about OS X, and as long as it runs well, I am happy.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Then I wonder how they plan to keep selling computers until then? Anyone bitten by the OS 9/OS X transition won't go near a new Mac until they've switched to Intel. I got burned in that deal too, and I won't do it again. They better do some good PR spins- and fast.

22. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I would gain free apps, instead of having to buy new apps AGAIN, like I already did once with the upgrade to OS X. I would also gain cheaper computers, and the same virus/spyware-free goodness that Macs have.

23. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

"not letting Apple die" is not my problem, it's the company's problem. I will continue to buy Apple products only if they continue to function for my needs, not to support some abstract entity. If Apple doesn't make the products I want, why should I support them?

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly- I like Apple products too. But they've pulled this major thing again and it's getting discouraging. I can't honestly recommend a new Mac to anyone right now and feel good about it.

25. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

I definately won't be getting a new Powerbook till after the update, looks like Ebay till then...
    Apple have got to anticipate a huge drop in sales till 2006.
    Btw i am all for the transition, just wish it happened sooner!!