Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grasbak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
UK
I got my first Mac last November (see sig). At that time I was king of computers with my friends/family. My brother in law was purchasing at about the same time but had to wait until the new year to save some more money...... of course by that time he got an Intel iMac. Same spec otherwise as mine but he became the new king!

Obviously I can live with that :p

Over the last couple of months my parents-in-law (both 60+) expressed interest in a new computer and were naturally impressed at my iMac. So much so that they decided they should get one! Worse than that they have decided to enter the world of broadband..... I currently have a 2mb contract.... they have gone with BT and after I had set it up for them it is running at the full 8mb :eek: the speed is awesome! Just to make myself feel more hard done by I watch in awe as I downloaded the 1080p spiderman trailer (c180mb), which downloaded in mins and ran pretty smoothly!

Even though I dont need it I keep planning my upgrade to a 20" Intel iMac to regain topspot......:rolleyes:

Of course the irony is that my friend who persuaded both me (and therefore all the above) to switch is still running his G4 Mac mini so I can console myself with how he feels!!! :D

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
Feeling a bit envious about being bumped from your prior status is understandable, but if you have a trouble free computer and it does what you ask of it, count your blessings. Reading messages posted here makes one keenly aware of the number of people who have to deal with one problem or another.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
In the world of technology, it nearly impossible to have the best computer or gadgets unless you got lots of money to burn.... :p

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Yes, I know that feeling. When my sister got her new iBook G4 back in the day, I was left behind in the dust. But now that I have my trusty Powerbook G3, I am the king again!

Oh, wait.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Your iMac is still worth quite a bit of money. If you really want an Intel one, eBay it and pay up the difference. There are some existing Mac users with large amounts of accumulated software who would love to buy a PowerPC iMac, me included if I didn't have one already :cool:

BTW have a word with your Broadband supplier. Mine upgraded my 2Mb contract to 4Mb for free.

crackpip

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Lately, I've been feeling the same way. My father bought a top of the line G5 a couple years ago after he retired. I bought a top of the line G4 powerbook a year later. For the past six months, I've been really beating on my machine. The processor is rarely under 80%, and even with 2GB of RAM, I'm paging like a mo'fo. I go home for a weekend, and there is his G5, just begging to be put through its paces.

He and my mother do, at least, use it a lot, and it'll be his primary machine for probably 8 years or longer (the G5 was an upgrade from a 200MHz 604e). I like the portability of a laptop, which is why I bought the pb in the first place, but my next machine will definitely be a workstation. mmm... quad woodcrest...

crackpip

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Bells and whistles make nice attention getting noise and first impressions. But after the wows die down, what you actually produce and accomplish with what you have is what counts.

Grasbak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
UK
Bells and whistles make nice attention getting noise and first impressions. But after the wows die down, what you actually produce and accomplish with what you have is what counts.

couldnt agree more.... this thread is, of course, tounge in cheek.

D34th

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2006
Connecticut
I've been there. I planned to get a Mac basically the day I got my PC 3 years ago. I waited and finally got one a few months ago, waited that whole time patiently. But of course my friends, the moment I get mine buy theirs in a day, literally. I have a total of three friends who bought the Macbook the day it came out. And I think the worst part of it is, none of them will get the actual use that it is made for out of it. They just sit there and use instant messenger programs...

MultiM

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2006
TO. I've moved!
Every 10 years or so I buy a new computer with all the bells and whistles and for 5 minutes I have a better one than anyone else. I feel your pain!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.