People who hate the Dock. Grr

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Plymouthbreezer, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Most of the complaints seem to be with auto-hide. So why not turn it off? :confused:

4. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Yeah. Lots of stupid arguments in my opinion.

5. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

Perhaps there is a better solution, but the Dock is much better than the Windows Start menu. One click launches an application compared to 3 (or 2 if you have patience to hover on "Programs") on the Start menu.

6. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

About half of them are complaining that MS Word documents linked beside the trash can all look the same. Who the heck puts 4 MS Word documents in their dock? Thats why we have Spotlight. And if you might have them in the Dock, do the Get Info thing and change the icons to something that you'll know what it means!

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Not quite sure why some people seem to hate the Dock.

I for one love it! :)

8. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I can understand the sentiment because it occasionally gets in my way a little... but Command Option D hides it quickly enough. The I just bring it back when I'm ready. (I'll usually hide it if I'm working in Final Cut, for example.) But overall its usefulness far outweighs these minor annoyances.

9. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

To add to this, if you are putting four Word documents in the dock, you probably use them a lot (e.g. report templates) and hence would probably remember what order they are in. Personally, my biggest complaint for the dock is that I can't close a window while it is minimized. You have to click on it and then close it with the button or Cmd-W.

Edit: Also, when I click the Safari icon and all Safari windows are minimized, I wish it would open a new window and instead of maximizing the most recent one. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining too much -- I love the dock!

10. Sirin macrumors member

Sirin

11. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

It seems to me that the half of this guy's arguments against the dock that don't have to do with it being hidden have to do with things looking the same.

For minimized items.... why would you have 4 word documents minimized? And once you do, it's not that hard to scroll the mouse over each to see their titles. As for anything else mimized (web pages and the like), it's essentially a miniature screen shot, so it's not hard to tell the difference...

With folders, when you put them in the dock, just give each a distinctive icon... like in my dock, the "apple" is my hard drive, the helmet is my games folder, the "A" is my applications, the castle are my big files (movies and disk images), and the speech bubbles are my downloads... not that hard to do, and makes your life much easier....

Attached Files:

12. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I believe he is actually talking about shortcuts to Word docs. (Drag a file to the left of the trashcan and a shortcut appears.)

13. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I think his main problem is he doesn't understand what the dock is for and he wants it to do stuff it really isn't designed to do.

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Sitting on the Dock of the Bay? :D

15. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

What I don't like about the dock is that it opens a window when sometimes I just want to focus the app. For example I might want to click on Mail.app then Cmd N to write a new message. But clicking on mail app opens the viewer window which I have to close. But that's why I have X-Assist.

Also I can't believe anyone uses Cmd Opt D, instead of assigning a shortcut key like F1.

16. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

For those of us with laptops, the function keys are already assigned. Cmd-Opt-D is actaully a little easier than fn-F1 would be. But thanks for the suggestion.

17. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I love the dock. Fudge this guy and his crappy blog.

18. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Nah, rather Got My Mind Set On You. Random, right?

19. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

People always have to complain about something. What a waste of bandwidth :rolleyes:

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So does this guy have a better alternative to the Dock? I think it's great to have all your most often used programs as one click. I use every app in my dock, and rarely have to go to FINDER>APPLICATIONS.

21. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

if you apple+tab to safari then just apple+n and it will make a new window

22. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

That's what I've started doing, but I still think it would be nice to be able to open a new window by default. (Like the quicklaunch icons on the Windows taskbar do.)

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

24. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

I agree with everything posted on that site. Except that they didn't say it strongly enough.

I haven't used the Dock since the Public Beta.

Grr yourself.

It gets in the way of things, popping up and getting in the way even when you've got it on auto-hide. It's especially bad in the default position (bottom) where lots of apps have widgets at window-bottom (including the Finder). It's least intrusive when set to smallest size and put on the left-hand side of the screen with auto-hide on. But you know something? You can pass the mouse within shooting range of the hidden dock and it pops up and the little text labels show up to identify what it thinks you were pointing at, so you mouse away and the dock goes away but the stupid little labels stay behind, floating in midair.

If you put all the apps you actually use on the damn thing, it becomes a cluttered, crowded thing. Even at its smallest, it eats up screen real estate.

It's far too akin to the Windows Start Menubar. If I wanted a strip of my screen taken away I'd buy a freakin' PC.

Besides, it attempts to steal Command-Tab for application switching. Another Windows wannabee feature. Command-Tab is owned by FileMaker for switching from one record to the next, or from one layout to the next in layout mode. Unlike the similarly irritating feature added to MacOS 9, you can't unassign the keystroke. Well, actually you can: PullTab, from Unsanity.com, will disable Command-Tab app switching. Or you can simply nuke the Dock.

That's what I do. First copy it to another location, like /Applications/Useless. Then add the new copy of Dock to startup items for each account. Then rm the original Dock from its home in CoreServices. No more Dock! Yay!

25. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

"Identical Icons look Identical". ...yes? Good job.

"No labels". Try putting your mouse over it jackass.

"I have a small penis". I agree.