People who want something for nothing...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by thinkofthestars, Mar 11, 2004.

1. thinkofthestars macrumors member

All right, here's the thing. How do you tell someone you're not about to give them a copy of your OS and your $400 software? This seems easy, right? Just say, "Hell no, I'm not giving you the software I rightfully paid for." But it's a little more complicated for me. I mean, I feel like a hypocrite in a sense. Before my Mac days, which weren't very long ago, I used to "find" my software for my PC online. You know what I'm talking about. I've denounced that though. I told myself, when I get my iBook, I'm paying for all of my software legitimately. I know that sounds stupid, but some part of me feels like I would be tainting my beautiful new laptop by putting illegal software on it. So anyway, I saved up the $1400 for my 14" iBook G4. Brand new with the latest version of OS X. Then I waited until I could save $400 to buy the Adobe Creative Suite (I got a student discount). It was very tempting to download it off of a P2P network, but I held back. I did without until I could afford to buy it outright. So now, this girl in my class asks me to burn her a copy of my CS and also my OS. Well hell if I'm going to do that. I mean, back in the old days, if someone were to ask me if I could get a copy of some software for them, I would have no problem. But I'm not about to had over the serial number to my brand new OS and software. In theory, that would make my new legitimate software become pirated, in a sense. So yeah, I don't want to be rude. I don't want to have some weird awkward moment where I have to explain my new found morals. It seems to me like if you're the type of person to own a mac, you're the type of person that also respects your computer. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but what am I supposed to say? Please, someone out there tell me that both of these CD's are copy protected and that I have an excuse to say no to her. Am I the only one here that feels so strongly about this?

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

I feel for you, but her too

Software like that isn't cheap, and she might be a great at working the software to do what is needed, but can't afford it. I can't afford it. So sometimes I have to pirate some software so I can get things done. Does this mean borrowing someones CD or making a disk image for me to keep. But I never take the persons CD key. I live by this rule with pirated software, if you want to use it, FIND YOUR OWN CD KEY. Now as for panther, doesn't your school offer it for a low price or free like my school. I have bought iLife and all but Photoshop and all, still a high price to pay.

You have the right to decline her request, and she shouldn't have hard feelings, otherwise, she isn't a real friend.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i agree with him. ill burn it for them, but i tell them to find their own serial, then im not risking my number. also, is she hot, if she is work something out with her.

iJon

4. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Well put iJon. :)

She can get a copy off the net, just as easily as you could of... s not only is she a thief, she's a lazy one at that. Burn her a copy of limewire, and tell her its every piece of software she could ever want to steal.

5. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Wise words from a wise man.

But for all relevance to this thread, Id burn her a .dmg of CS and tell her to scram with what you give her. CD keys are super easy to find, so tell her to just find one. As for OSX, tell her to ***** buy it herself.

6. lucab1982 macrumors member

I would love to be able to afford all my own software. Panther Family Pack in my house is all legitimate, as is Microsoft Office and Dreamweaver, however limewire has been useful.

I am a student and even their licenses are quite expensive for Adobe etc..My stance is that while i am a student and have little money i will continue to utilise Limewire and other p2p programs. However, when i have a job and am earning with pleasure i would spend my money on the Software and wouldn't download. Legitimate software feels so much better.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It does? Doesn't "feel" any different to me :D ;)
    I would not give her a copy. I will give anyone a copy of anything I have "aquired", but I will not dish out copies of stuff I have paid for out of my own pocket, why the hell should I/you?

8. lucab1982 macrumors member

I know it's strange, Micro$oft i couldn't give a sh** but Apple i would pay all the way baby. :D

9. FatSweatyChimp macrumors member

So it was ok for you to steal from software companies in the past but not ok for the girl to steal from you?

10. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

Don't you have to call in and verify your software with Adobe now? Or is that just Windows version.

My first thoughts were: If you're single and she's hot, then hell yes!

11. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

He never said that. Most people know downloading software off of bittorrent, kazaa etc is illegal but do it anyway. People have their reasons. Software costing hundreds of $/£ is one of them. It's their choice whether to risk it or not.

If you have bought software then there is no reason for you to feel bad about saying you won't copy it for people. It's also your choice. If you want to be safe (untraceable) then copy the disk image and leave them to find their own serial. It's not that hard - in fact there's a piece of software knocking around that is just a huge list of serials searchable by app and is updated every month. But no, I'm not telling anyone where to get it or what it's called.

Strangely enough I've paid for every bit of software I've ended up using regularly. I have downloaded stuff and used it for a while and if I actually use it enough I've bought a legit copy. Otherwise I delete it. I've even bought all the Apple software I have and they don't have serials...

12. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Currently it's just the windows version that does this though the mac version 'phones home' or at least tries to.

13. FatSweatyChimp macrumors member

Why won't her let her copy it then? Because it cost HIM money?

14. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

of all the dumb posts in my entire life....

Lets see you save up you pay you get

she comes over says can i have that on a cd please

you respond with this post to ask if its right or wrong or what not :confused: hell just copy the dam disk let her search for the sn and be done with it if she offers you a date for it my god go for it wont hurt

:D

15. lind0834 macrumors regular

Don't Copy the stuff you paid for.

I wouldn't make a copy of what you paid for. That's dumb.

If for some reason you feel like you need to help a complete stranger steal software point them to a bittorrent site and let them use thier own bandwidth and time to get a copy that may or may not work.

If it is some one who has been good to you in the past, or someone who has shared files with you in the past then, I wouldn't be so harsh.

16. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I was saying he never said it was OK to steal software. There's a difference in knowing something's not 'right' and doing it anyway and not knowing it's wrong in the first place. This guy seems to know what he did was wrong....otherwise why would he bother saving up for his own copy?

17. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

I'd give her a copy, heck if someone wanted to use my Panther cd, i would let them. It's just sitting there collecting dust, might as well be put to use.

The one thing i have learned about software is, it aint cheap. Man, some of the more usefull programs are hella expensive. I've yet to pirate any software, but I can understand the people that do.

18. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

"hot" people think they can get everything they want just because they are hot and then rest of the world owes them... f- that... tell her to buy her own copy... if shes hot maybe she work a few corners and earn the money...

19. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Copying software is illegal. Period. I'm not going to command that you don't, or deny that I've found certain applications between my couch cushions, but it's still wrong. Some apps are more expensive because they are geared to make money from corporations that use them to generating profit. I doubt that some pieces of software are intended to be used by the hobbyist. I do know that if you use software you should support the company that created it so that they can continue to develop it. I just wish that Maya and Adobe offered 'hobbyist discounts', I would gladly spend $100 on Creative Suite to play with it in my spare time, but I don't have that kind of money to blow on something I only use in my spare time.

20. FatSweatyChimp macrumors member

That's what I'm on about! Because he now knows it's wrong to steal software he doesn't want to give her a copy simply because he has paid for it himself.

Is it ok to copy pc software then and not Apple? If so, why?

21. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

AMEN brother. I hate "hot" girls that think I will swoon to their every wish. I get a kick out of denying them everything. Not only is it insulting to my intelligence, but there were women who fought and lobbied and protested their way for years to get equal treatment and these dumb tarts throw that all away by batting their eyelashes, feigning stupidity and being cutsy to get what they want.

I say screw them. In a very uncomfortable spot. Like the back seat of a Volkswagen.

22. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

It has absolutely nothing to do with Mac vs. Windows.

He bought an Apple, got a chance to get a 'fresh start' on the software piracy issue, and took the opportunity to reform his ways, for which I commend him.

23. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

People do change. He used to have no problem 'sharing' software, now he's changed his mind and doesn't want to do it anymore. What's so hard to understand?

Also, I think that many Apple users are more sensitive to the economics of software development and want to support those companies that support our chosen platform. We know that there won't be Mac versions of our favorite programs if Mac users don't continue to pay for them.

24. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i know i won't make any believers out of these posts, but would you purchase "extra" licenses to "pay back" for the free ones you've used in the past? would you buy them even if your company supplies you with copies at no costs to you?

if you are a student and you need to use these expensive software, i have no doubt that those programs would be available at computer labs. why not use those? are you really "stealing" the program because you absolutely need it or you just can't live without the convenience of being able to use it on your computer?

i have my opinions and ideals/morals and i think it's wrong. i don't care if others don't care it's wrong, but i do hate people making justifications or excuses. if you are going to do something illegal, admit it's illegal, admit that there's not really much of an excuse or justifications for doing so and just move on...

sorry for the rant. as for the o.p., i agree with many others here that you should give her a copy of CD images and tell her to go find her own keys. you should definitely not get yourself involved "on record."

25. FatSweatyChimp macrumors member

I am asking is he not letting the girl copy the software because he has paid for it this time. Why was it ok in the past for him to copy stuff himself but not now? Is it because he would feel like he spent the money for other people's benefit -exactly like the software companies he stole from?

What brought about this change of mind?

I am not attacking him personally by the way. I just think it's strange that now he's started shelling out hard earned money for stuff (like most of us here do anyway, me included) he realizes that software piracy is wrong.