People who won't use anything "apple"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by joecool85, Nov 16, 2006.

1. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Apparently there are people who won't use anything apple on their PC. This includes, but is not limited to, iTunes, Quick Time, and any games that run on mac. That's right, even games that were made for PC then later ported for mac...wtf!!

I use to be a hardcore PC guy when I was in highschool, but when I came to college (3 years ago) I switched. I'm now multi platform, I use both windows and mac pretty much daily, with my mac usage being about 80-85% of my computing time. I just can't understand being that rediculous that you wouldn't even use a program because "it works on mac." Which would make your PC experience pretty poor I can imagine. No iTunes, no quick time, no halo, no star craft, no MS word lol

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

That's pretty extreme! I only know people who refuse to use an iPod or a Mac computer. Do they really not use MS Office?

3. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Not sure about MS Office, but I've heard that "Well, I won't use anything that runs on a mac." So I would assume yes. I've yet to talk to one of these people myself, and when I do, they will have a rude awakening that they basically can't do anything. Especially since windows runs on apple hardware now.

4. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

That is pretty extreme! Plenty of people here won't touch anything Apple as "its crap". Thats the only reason, apart from to do anything in OSX you have to read a hulking great manual?!?!?!

Worrying when IT bods for one of the worlds largest IT companies are like this :eek:

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I come across a lot of people like that. Doesn't make a lot of sense. My belief is that you have to experience it in full to say 'meh'. Of course, there are a lot of Apple people who disparage anything by Microsoft based on their experiences a decade ago or whatever as well.

6. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

haha thats true, wonder what they're excuse for that'll be :rolleyes:

7. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Check this out

This conversation happened two days ago between me and a friend of mine. He was using Windows/Messenger and I was using Adium...

Friend: "Did you see this emotion?"
    Me: "No, I am not using windows right now."
    Friend: "What are you using then? Linux?"
    Me: "No, I am using a Mac."
    Friend: "haha, Mac is for dumb people."

:rolleyes:

8. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

It is amazing the pathetic arguments people come up with just to mac-bash when they've probably never touched one in their entire lives.

I'll admit that I was one of those people. I used to wonder why on earth the mac fans were so determined to prove platform superiority and then one day I just fell in love with the Ti Book, ad after reading about how good macs are for music and logic at the time, I brought one.

Three years later, five friends of mine who were in the exact same position as me have since purchased macs!

I think Microsoft and Windows makes you think that you just don't have another option to be productive.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ah, them people. I used to be a PC-only guy. Hated Apple (back in the G3 days, back with OS9), but then I found myself looking at Apples store once at college. Purely because it was the start page on Safari. I fell instantly in love with iPod.
    1 year later I'm at university. I have a 15" laptop, much too big for me. Oh look! a 12" PowerBook! BUYS! along with an iPod Mini. 2 years later - iMac C2D.

Though interestingly I got my Apple hating friend (iPod sucks, etc etc) to buy an iMac C2D. Purely on it's very small form factor, it's quiet and cool running, low power AND dual boots into Windows. He says "Well I'll never use the OSX side", and hey presto. Now he says "It's too dangerous to go online on Windows". :D
    With intel chips it makes hating Apple that little more ludicrous.

10. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

On that same note, I can't stand the mac only people either. I think its pretty ignorant to say that "Macs are the best, PCs suck" or vice versa. Both platforms have their place. For me though, Macs work better for my daily productivity uses. This includes working with PhotoShop, GarageBand, Word, and SubEthaEdit. Now thats not to say that I can't do the same stuff on PC, but I've had better (MUCH better) luck with multitasking on my macs than on any PC I've worked with. And I've worked on some pretty high end PCs.

11. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Honestly?
    I think somewhere, deep down in the depths of their psyche, the "extreme Apple haters" know that Macs are probably superior. But their brain also refuses to believe that they've been using an inferior platform for years and years of their lives. And so instead of admitting this to themselves, they fool themselves into believing that the PC MUST be greater. And the only way to do this effectively is to really, really HATE the Mac. These are the guys that will get super-defensive about Windows, and will Apple-bash every opportunity they can get. It's the only way they can go on living with themselves...

It's like being someone who suddenly realizes there's been a really popular but still indie music group around for YEARS now, but you're just hearing about them now. People rave about them, and it seems like all the "cool" and "hip" kids love them -- but you feel kind of stupid for not being "in the know" about them. So you pretend to have known about the band all along, but you decided they really suck. It's the only way to "save face" in this situation, and not look dumb. And then you refuse to ever give them a chance, because you fear the possibility of actually liking them one day -- because then you'll just seem like a hypocrite. So you stand by your hater stance for as long as possible.
    I know so many people who react to stuff they don't know this way -- by hating it. And I'm betting that's exactly what's going on with extreme Apple haters...

People don't like to look stupid. And honestly, anyone that doesn't understand that Apple is better than MicroSoft is just in denial. It's ok to use PC's for business, gaming, because they're cheaper, because most of the world uses them and you want to make sure your interactions with others goes smoothly, or a number of other fair reasons. But to actually truly BELIEVE Apple is inferior is just sheer ignorance. Ignorance can be stupidity. And, like I said... people don't like to look stupid. They'll come up with any reason in their head NOT to look stupid (and only look MORE stupid in the end).

12. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Haha, who cares if Windows users like your friend think that the Mac is just a toy. Ultimately, it doesn't hurt the Mac that much in the consumer/home market (although of course it does in the business market, but I think Apple has pretty much given up on that market for the time being).

The thing is that the average consumer *does* want their computer to be easier to use, so Apple has tried to position the Macs as the easiest-to-use alternative. But on the other hand, tech-savvy "alpha geek" types will definitely be aware that OS X is unix-based an will think of OS X as more like a user-friendly Unix that also runs Microsoft Office. I mean, PowerBooks are *hugely* popular in the Alpha Geek community (I read that at places like Sun Microsystems most of the engineers have one).

In terms of average tech-savviness I would actually rank people in this order, based on the operating system that they use on their primary computer:
    1) Linux
    2) Mac
    3) Windows

13. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

No offense, but, hello stupid. Like you said, ignorance can be stupidity. And I believe it is EXTREMELY ignorant to think that "Apple is better than Microsoft." I do like Apple more than MS, but on that same note, MS isn't as crap as people like to believe. Regardless of my dislike for them, they are a formidable opponent. WinXP can install on virtually any x86 platform all the way back to PIIs and run pretty smoothly. On top of that and the extreme amounts of software available, it really makes it so you can't discount MS. Now, thats not to say that I think MS is great, because I don't. But I don't think they are as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Each OS has their place, if windows isn't for you, thats fine, but that doesn't mean that it is inferior to OS X.

14. jdechko macrumors 68040

I used to be hatin' on Apple. Then I got an iPod. Then while I was checking out the new iPods, I saw the PMG5. Then I was looking around wondering when the G5 PowerBook would come out (that's how I found MR :) ). Now, my next computer will be a Mac (probably a MBP).

15. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

16. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Not funny anymore...

17. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I didn't say Windows doesn't have its place. Read my original post before calling me stupid, please. Thanks. ;)

But let's put aside the fact that over 90% of the world uses Windows. I agree, that that's a HUGE advantage over OS X. There are tons more software available for Windows, and even the software available for both is often updated quicker on PCs. For hardcore gaming, there's no question Windows is the preferred platform.

But I'm talking about just the strength of each OS itself. Which is better made? Almost any computer expert you talk to, almost any user who uses both platforms will tell you, OS X is better. And if it had the support that Windows had, it would be king of the universe -- there would be virtually no reason why anyone would want to use Windows. But because Windows dominates the market, it makes perfect sense why people still use it, and therefore feel the need to defend it.

Back to the original point -- I still feel most "extreme Apple haters" (notice I'm talking about the EXTREME ones here) have a bit of an inferiority complex going on. Seriously, what else could it be?
    I have plenty of Windows-using friends who understand that OS X is probably better-made, easier to use, and virus-free. But they can't afford to get a new computer (or at least not an expensive Apple one), feel lazy to make a big change, are required to have a PC for some work-related reason, are too much of gamers to truly let go yet, are worried if they switch they won't be able to do stuff well with their PC friends/family, or a number of other justifiable reasons. For these people, I totally get it why they won't switch. The "extreme Apple haters" I don't get -- you really, really hate a company that is constantly putting out the best products in their classes? Huh??

18. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yeah.... man IE 5 and Windows Media Player:Mac... those were stunning.

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Tell the macaroon to join PETA, become a Vegan, and go live in the woods. ;)

20. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

awwwwww:(:D

21. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Sorry, I didn't mean to call you stupid, I only used it because of how you said that ignorance can be stupidity. And now that you've cleared up your views I'm not thinking that you are ignorant anymore. I get what you're saying.

I will say however that if Linux keeps the same pace it has for the past 5 years, I won't be using mac for as long as I thought. I already really enjoy Ubuntu and Slackware enough that after I'm out of college I may make the switch to a free OS.

22. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

'Sun baked', I think that really says a lot. But, why are you on an Apple site, promoting anti-Apple sentiment?

23. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I doubt that people that are that crazy even know that M$ Office works on Macs

24. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

You know its funny It happened backwards for me. I remember first getting an XP computer (about 6 months ago) thinking "well this isn't so bad sure no eye candy but it works alright" A month later I couldn't stand to turn the thing on I hated it. Same thing happened with vista. I really thought apple was something very special and Microsoft was normal I now see how sub-rate MS really is.

25. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Too expensive to cure them, with all the doctor's visits and pills that some of these goofs would need.

Much easier to give them a bag of trail mix and get them lost in the woods. ;)