People's favourite music genre

Discussion in 'Community' started by Wardofsky, Aug 7, 2002.

?

What is you're favourite music genre.

1. Jazz

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Rock

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Alternative/AlternRock/ Alternative Rock

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  4. Dance Music/Techno

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Goth

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Classic

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  7. Blues

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Easy Listening

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Blues

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Religious

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Just a project I need to do, we're setting up a radio station and we are arguing about what genre we have, so I thought I'd ask the audience, seeing Applers are smart (Heh heh heh) I set up a poll.

Please vote, comment if you wish.

P.S: If you're favourite genre is up, just post it (I could only have 10 options :().

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

3. iGav macrumors G3

I'll listen to any genre.......

Pref is alternative rock, trip-hop, electronica, jazz................

I love music......... :D

4. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I'm with iGav on this one. It seems every music thread, iGav and I have about 15 overlapping "wow, you like THEM?" bands.... :)

m

5. wake up Jobs!!! macrumors regular

!!??

Whats with these "favorite music" threads. I made one 2 weeks ago and since then I have seen like ten of them. Why oh why I know I will be SPAMED for this , but I think that we are all copying each other!

-GaBe

6. iGav macrumors G3

Re: !!??

We could do with a dedicated music forum...... there's alot of music lovers on here, and it'd be cool to have a place where people can discuss music etc...... I always love to be pointed in the direction of new tunes....... :)

So anyhows.... back on to topic....... what's your favourite genre 'wake up jobs!!'???

Read as..... I can't be bothered to dig up an older thread....... :eek: :D :p

7. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Has anyone heard the new beth ornton album yet?

It's insanely amazing. I'd like to list my top 10 albums...ala, high fidelity, if you will.

1. "The Queen is Dead" - The Smiths. Perfect Post-punk pop album. The finest from this Mancunian band.

2. "Disintigration" - The Cure. Inetense, thick, wall of sound. Wonderfully introspective lyrics.

3. "Take 5" - Dave Brubeck. Perfect jazz, from mellow to frenetic.

4. "Souviaki" - Slowdive. MIght be the quinetessential "new psychadelia" album. Probably did more to influence the new electronica wave.

5. "Armed Forces" - Elvis Costello. EC hits his stride--perfect, terse pop songs with lots to say.

6. "Violator" - Depeche Mode. Perfectly summing up many emotions in my early high school years.

7. "If You're Feeling Sinister" - Belle & Sebastian. If the Smiths were reincarnated...this was their album. Witty wry lyrics over a januty pop landscape. Bliss on sundays!

8. "Red House Painters" - Red House Painters. Beautifully depressing album. Slow songs, chiming, textured guitars. Perfect for a rainy day.

9. "Sounds From The Thievery Hi-Fi" - Theivery Corporation. Great mix of latin styles, dub, reggae, electronica, samba, jazz, and everything else. Some might say "recipe for disaster" but these DC DJs pull it off.

10. "Roseland NYC" - Portishead. Portishead and a 32 piece orchestra play live. Some of the stuff is SO tight you'd think it was recorded. Over and over again. With lots of overdubs. A must have.

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

Hardcore Rock/Metal is my taste. If you check out my profile you will see some of my favorite bands.

Usually I listen to the Rock/Metal because it's just who I am. I'm not in the music for the profanity, as, when I have the spare time, I like to censor out the music. Plus, I get to scare the rats out of the house with the sub I have (in NJ). :D

On occasion, however, I will adopt to much less hardcore music, such as Moby, Incubus, RHCP, Nickelback, StainD, Meja, and Hoobastank.

9. iGav macrumors G3

Beth Ortons new album is totally cool......... especially Concrete Sky and Mount Washington...... :)

"Sounds From The Thievery Hi-Fi" - Thievery Corporation ahh yeah...... have to go with 2001 A Spliff Odyessey and Shaolin Satellite from that........ :)

PNYC on the 'Strangers' everytime I hear that song, right towards the end when the orchestra kicks in......I get a severe case of goosebumps....... very few songs do that to me....... :) have you checked out the PNYC DVD yet???

10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Re: People's favourite music genre

Well, maybe if you hadn't put Blues twice, you coulda fit in Classic Rock. ;) Yeah, I know it's a branch of "Rock", but I like to differentiate between Modern Rock and Classic Rock. So, um, my favorite is Classic Rock. :cool:

11. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Yea. That "strangers" track is unreal. it's fun to listen to on the car stereo with a group of my friends who happen to be s***ed. :D

There's a place in Pittsburgh called Mount Washington, and i always try to listen to that sound whilst driving up there. :)

Shaolin Satellite is a killer song... I like the "edgier" stuff tons, buyt the mellow stuff. Yea.... Ever heard of Mad Professor??? You'd probably dig his stuff. And some of the 18th street bands.... Desmond Williams, Ursula 1000, Thunderball.

Good stuff.

The Guardians of Dalliance is a band i bought just cause of the name, and they kick a$$ too. Also, been listening to a bunch of Groove Armada, Coltrane (of course!) and this wacky 80's compilation i have, which has some good stuff (MIrror in the Bathroom, live, live Madness, etc.)

But I still think, from a production standpoint, Madonna's "like a prayer" from the Immaculate Collection rocks the shack.

Oh. And the new New Order album is insanely good too.

12. iGav macrumors G3

Mad Professor...... oh yeah.... he's done a ton of stuff with Massive Attack........ :) incidently whose new album is due soon....... :)

Not heard of the others..... so will be making an effort to find some songs...... and check them all out........ ;) :D

I'm just kicking back to Kid Loco's 'presents jesus life for children under 12 inches' at the mo..... if you've not heard this then it's definitely worth a listen...... mogwai, Uriel, Saint Etienne, talvin Singh and Badmarsh+shri are all on it.... it's a cracking album........ ;)

13. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

i have a weird dad(a good thing)so i grew up on weird jazz and prog-rock like Soft Machine and King Crimson. now i am a musician by trade and i sometimes have to do very lame commercial stuff for work. so my personal taste still resides pretty far to the left...experimental electronic stuff, jazz, post rock, even some abstract hip-hop.

14. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

15. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Death Metal

Check out my Friends Band...

http://www.violentvomit.com/

don't if your offended easily. They are a bit extreem. They have a new CD comming out by the end of this month.

-evildead

16. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Hey evildead, not to knock your friend's band or anything, but I gotta say their site seems a bit juvenile. I mean everyone's entitled to get normalcy out of their system, but the whole gagging sounds, the red broken typewriter font on a black background, it's just so.... trite... it's ironic that in being extreme to get away from "normal" bands, they've become almost normal themselves...

Oh well, to each his own. :)

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

juliana hatfield to james hatfield...alt to hard rock/metal

wilson phillips to the wall...pop rock to art rock

chopin to cherry poppin daddy's...classical to swing

temptations to turandot...soul to opera

but right now, i like alt rock/emo rock/intelligensia rock

18. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

dude...you excluded all the people who dig rock-a-billy.

how sad. :(

19. MacMaster macrumors 6502

Look at that!

Look at the spike on Alternative/AlternRock/ Alternative Rock! Is it just a coincidence that most mac users like this particular genre? hmmmmm.......Interesting....Very interesting...

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i put rockabilly into today's swing since it has made inroads into the genre of swing which was once only 40s era stuff

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i guess punk/hardcore would fit into alternative rock. so i'll go with that

plus any thing that spears or j-lo or the groups of suave guys put out...

22. sneed macrumors regular