Peoria, IL

Discussion in 'iPhone Purchaser Meetups' started by bigbarr, Jun 14, 2008.

1. macrumors member

I suppose there is only one place in town. I'm off the 11th.

2. macrumors member

Howdy,

How is the AT&T coverage in Peoria, IL? I live in Metamora and currently have a Blackberry on Verizon but I'm very tempted to switch to AT&T for the new 3G iPhone. I'm just concerned about not being able to make or receive calls when in Metamora, Peoria, East Peoria, or Mossville.

Any info/experiences you can share regarding that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

3. thread starter macrumors member

Reception

It's not bad. I mean verizon is definitely the best around here. I am very very rarely without reception. I will say though, that reception in CAT AC over in Mossville is great if you get into the interior parts of the building. Otherwise, Metamora, EP and Peoria are just fine. The service has improved since I got the first iphone and made the switch last year.

I'd say go for it. I'm happy with my decision. Where do you work?

4. macrumors 601

I've got family in Germantown Hills and AT&T reception has always been good there. That's very close to Metamora, so I can't imagine that the quality of service would vary much between a few miles on 116.

5. macrumors member

I've had Verizon since moving to Metamora from Peoria about 4 years ago. We had SprintPCS at the time and couldn't get good reception in our house on the NW part of Metamora in the new sub divisions (along County Road 1500 North between 89 and Coal Bank Rd) or at my desk in TC-E-wing 900. We don't have a landline so we really needed the cell phones to work.

I work in the E3 area of CAT AC in Mossville now. I've heard some people complain about not getting good signals at their desks in AC but I think they sit in the D2 area toward the center of the building. I can't believe that Bloomington-Normal and Springfield have 3G and such wide voice coverage and Peoria doesn't! I keep checking the AT&T Coverage map every other day hoping to see expansion or 3G in Peoria but the 4/30/2008 map is still up there. :(

I think Verizon has the best coverage nationwide (I've been surprised about getting signal in the mountains in West Virginia) but I spend 95% of my time in Metamora, Peoria, East Peoria, Mossville, Chicago, and southern Indiana. So if AT&T works well there then I should be okay.

I'm sooooo tempted by the new 3G iPhone and we are outside of our contract with Verizon now. We have many Apple products at home already.

decisions, decisions.... :confused:

6. macrumors member

Is the only place in town the place at Grand Prairie or by IHOP? :confused:

7. thread starter macrumors member

att store

the store by ihop is now the only corporate store in the area. There was one by grand prarie, but they closed it down and moved to the one by ihop, which was previously not corporate owned. Mostly the same personnel from grand prarie store.

8. macrumors member

I'm in Morton with AT&T service, and the coverage has generally been good. Much better than when I was with Sprint!

Now, are we all crazy for considering buying a new iPhone since we don't have 3G coverage in our area? Are we paying too much for technology we can't use? I've long wanted an iPhone; I'm just trying to convince myself that it's worth spending more on a monthly plan when we won't have the benefits of the 3G network. Has anybody else struggled with this issue?

9. thread starter macrumors member

Nah, we'll have 3g when we travel (even as close as bloomington). I sold my iphone for 450 on ebay. So I'm getting the 16gb, and I figure even if I am only on edge, I'll get way better battery life and double the storage, better built in speakers. And I will pocket some money. 3g or not, it's still the best phone out there.

10. macrumors member

OK, that was the boost I was looking for. Edge isn't that bad, 3G is in the surrounding areas, and we'll get 3G coverage here eventually, right? Plus ... shiny new phone!

11. thread starter macrumors member

Keywords: Shiney and New!

12. macrumors member

I'm debating getting the iphone. I'm not with ATT and Peoria doesn't have 3G... should I?

Any idea when Peoria will get 3G coverage?

13. macrumors member

I'm pretty much in the same boat! Tough choice. I've got the BlackBerry 8130 on Verizon in the Peoria area. I've been pretty happy with that setup but I'm an :apple: guy so am very tempted by the iPhone 3G prospects. The web browser on the Blackberry could use some work as well.

I've read in a HowardForums post that some ATT store manager in Peoria said 3G in 2009. I also just read that Evansville, IN (I went to high school just west of there) had 3G flipped on a few days ago. The Peoria-Metro area is like 20,000 people larger than the Evansville-Metro area. The 3G coverage in Bloomington also seems to stretch a peculiar amount towards Peoria as well.

I'm leaning towards taking out a new ATT line (number) to try the iPhone 3G for 30 days in the Peoria area to make sure I can make voice calls from home, work, and the main shopping areas of Peoria. Also hope the EDGE data coverage is decent around here too.

14. macrumors member

BrightestBear, ever travel to Metamora, Mossville (CAT AC), East Peoria (CAT CV), Washington (Kroger), or Peoria (Target/Grand Prairie/Metro Center) with that ATT phone? I'm curious how the ATT coverage is in those areas which are the areas we are in the most. ;)

15. macrumors member

I'm particularly interested in the coverage around the Bradley campus as I'll be living there this fall. I heard from some past students that ATT has poor coverage there.

Even if I can't use 3G for a while I think I'd still like the iPhone as long as I can get decent call coverage and Edge usage.

16. macrumors member

DanielQ, I work at Bradley, and I've never had trouble getting service for my phone in my office and around campus. However, I don't know about the reception in the dorms and student-heavy areas. Maybe you could Facebook some random students and ask? :p

mistergadgett, I've never had trouble with reception in Peoria, especially in those shopping areas. Occasionally I've lost service for a blip while on 474, but I can count on my phone to work in Peoria. My husband works in East Peoria, and he occasionally can't get service in his office. But when he's outside of his office, it's never a problem, and I've always had service in East Peoria (including the Kroger's). I can't help you out with Metamora, Mossville or Washington, though. Sorry!

Also, mistergadgett, the Peoria AT&T employee I spoke to a few weeks ago said he didn't think we'd have 3G coverage any earlier than 2010. I have no idea if he was basing that on actual information or if it was just a wild guess.

17. macrumors regular

Is anyone going to be camping out for it?? If I don't have to go to Chicago Friday then I'm thinking about getting up there early in the morning. I talked to the manager and she said they only got 20 total last year at launch time. I wonder if they are going to get more since they are cheaper this year??

18. macrumors member

Thank you very much, BrightestBear. That helps. ;)

As for me, I won't be camping out. Maybe I'm being naive, but I don't anticipate supply being a huge issue in our area.

19. macrumors newbie

insanemetalhead

You guys are worried about coverage in Peoria? I'm from the Galesburg (living in Schaumburg currently) and I wonder if I will get service when I visit family or people in the sticks for that matter.

20. macrumors regular

I currently live in Galesburg and I think that the service here is ok. I will be switching from Sprint to ATT just for this iPhone. But I travel to Chicago a lot so the 3G will definitely come in handy. Plus, I'm moving to Texas in October and the 3G coverage in the area is great. Hopefully, I won't have to go to Chicago friday and will be able to go up there early to get one. I'm definitely wanting the 16GB in black, if I can't get it in black then I will wait or order one off the Apple Store.

21. macrumors newbie

insanemetalhead

According to my friend at CSC, he said one of the staff members had to return his iPhone because they could only get reception near the interstate.

22. macrumors regular

Well, I mainly use my phone for texting. I don't use a lot of minutes talking so if it only works sometimes then I can deal with that.

Looks like I'll be in Chicago on friday so hopefully I can score one up there at one of the stores they have.

23. macrumors member

What's CSC?

24. macrumors member

I wonder if they sold out of the 20 the first time around (I wonder if there are 20 iPhone users in the Peoria area? :eek:) If they do sell out, I wonder how soon they will get restocked.

25. macrumors member

BrightestBear, thanks for the info. Getting additional points of reference are always nice. :D

I figure AT&T's 3G rollout plan changes every quarter based on the financial results for the previous quarter. I guess I would be surprised if the store managers knew more than a month prior to their area actually getting 3G. :( Maybe Caterpillar will switch from VerizonWireless to AT&T and then the entire tri-county area would be oozing with 3G data. (a guy can always dream, right? ;) )