Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
As to Apple not being a sponsor, that's not surprising and it's not news. It basically means the giveaway is what it looks like. One in three Pepsis will come with a .99c gift certificate from Pepsico.

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC
Originally posted by JeffTL
As to Apple not being a sponsor, that's not surprising and it's not news. It basically means the giveaway is what it looks like. One in three Pepsis will come with a .99c gift certificate from Pepsico.

I agree, why waste money one an ad that is already getting the name out. Apple has always been know for their low keynes.

Ktulu

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Brownstown, MI
Originally posted by l008com
He said it to himself? That doesn't even make sense.

I have the same game and have also seen that card.
Side #1 of Card
Question: "To whom did Steve Jobs say 'Do you want to make sugar water the rest of your life, or do you want to change the world?'"

Side #2 of Card
Answer: Steve Jobs

The card is completely wrong. I would also like to know who is doing the research for the answers.

Anyway, BOT.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Re: Not sure if you've seen this...

Originally posted by toravisu
http://images.thisislondon.co.uk/v2/news/pepsiPA160104_450x280.jpg

There's a pic from the pepsi ad campain with Enrique, Pink, Beyonce, and Britney. It looks like the all white music notes mine a throughback to the iPod.

That's odd, the other pics (supposedly) from the advert featured a gladiator theme.

Another thing to note, is that Apple might not necessarily get any publicity from the Pepsi advert, "Apple" or "iTunes" might not even get a mention!

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
Re: Re: Not sure if you've seen this...

Originally posted by whooleytoo
Another thing to note, is that Apple might not necessarily get any publicity from the Pepsi advert, "Apple" or "iTunes" might not even get a mention!

C'mon! They have to do a cross promo thing... Apple's website already has Pepsi on there. Granted, the commercial will be MOSTLY about Pepsi, but they have to say something like "Buy Pepsi bottles and get free music downloads from the iTMS!"

Otherwise, Apple wouldn't be making such a big deal out of this. Also, the Apple page says adS in plural, so maybe that's why Apple isn't putting an ad in the superbowl... Pepsi's got them covered!

One can only hope.:eek:

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Re: Re: Re: Not sure if you've seen this...

Originally posted by jrv3034
C'mon! They have to do a cross promo thing... Apple's website already has Pepsi on there. Granted, the commercial will be MOSTLY about Pepsi, but they have to say something like "Buy Pepsi bottles and get free music downloads from the iTMS!"

Not necessarily. They could just as easily say: "We're giving away 100 million songs! That's right. Just buy a bottle of Pepsi (etc).. check your cap, and you could be the winner of a free song download. See bottles for details" etc...

Apple will benefit from the songs Pepsi pays for, plus the additional iTMS users this brings in. We don't know (yet) if there's any obligation on Pepsi to also publicize Apple involvement in their adverts.

In fact, if you look at the number of companies re-branding music stores at the moment, I'd argue it's more likely Apple will scarcely get a mention.

pdrayton

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2004
Boston, MA
Rebranding a product is a completely different concept from a promotional campaign.

Trust me, you'll see "iTunes" mentioned in the Pepsi promotion. Let's get real here, if Pepsi won't be mentioning iTunes, how will people know where to download their free music?

The reason Pepsi is pumping so much into this promotion is because iTunes has 70% of the download market. Pepsi HAS to mention iTunes for the promotion to be effective.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Originally posted by pdrayton
Rebranding a product is a completely different concept from a promotional campaign.

Not quite completely different. The purpose of the rebranded online music stores is to promote your brand/product/service by latching onto the demand for digital music.

The purpose of this Pepsi promotion is just the same.

Trust me, you'll see "iTunes" mentioned in the Pepsi promotion. Let's get real here, if Pepsi won't be mentioning iTunes, how will people know where to download their free music?

It'll be mentioned quite clearly on the bottles how to redeem the coupons. Pepsi may or may not mention iTunes in the advert, but I can't see any reason they need to.

The reason Pepsi is pumping so much into this promotion is because iTunes has 70% of the download market. Pepsi HAS to mention iTunes for the promotion to be effective.

Certainly iTMS is the enabling technology/service that made the Pepsi deal possible. But still iTunes brand penetration is still tiny in comparison to Napster/Kazaa, or even good ol' fashioned CD purchases. At the moment, iTunes is just the biggest fish in a very, very small (but growing) pond.

pdrayton

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2004
Boston, MA
If you read the advertising trade magazines you'll see that Apple & Pepsi will be featured prominently in the ads from Pepsi.

"Rebranding" refers to a product... and is done when you want to get additional customers whom you don't currently have. The Pepsi iTunes promotion is NOT rebranding.... There's Pepsi, there's iTunes... two brands. No rebranding.

We'll see soon enough come February 1st... this thread will pop back up and those freaking about there being no mention of Apple or iTunes will see it was wasted energy.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Originally posted by LinuxGigolo
I've been hearing a lot of people say that they're going to buy a whole bunch of Pepsi once the promotion starts for the free song, and they seem to forget that individual tracks are only $0.99 @ the iTMS, generally less than a bottle of Pepsi.

Which is exactly why I have already informed my friends who prefer Pepsi and do not use the iTMS to save me their bottle caps. I don't drink that much soda, and when I do, I really do prefer Coke (or the Dew!) but as long as they're going to get all those caps they won't be using.... :)

I like the tea suggestion, too. Here's some Coke trivia I was recently emailed:

1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous China.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a crumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil,and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains.

9. It will also clean road haze from your windshield. (Just don't get it on the paint; the Coke will eat it!)

For Your Info:

1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also
leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

Now, all that may or may not be accurate, but I do know for a fact that my friend at the Science Center says they put a chicken drumstick into a tub of Coke in the morning, and it's dissolved by the end of the day. And another friend of mine cleans her drains by pouring a liter of Coke down them. Makes you want to run right out for a nice refreshing soda, doesn't it?

Fun!! :D

pdrayton

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2004
Boston, MA
Beware of tales from "Friends of friends".

The stuff above is pure urban myth as noted here: Urban Myths

Oh, although an iTunes download is only .99, the 20oz Pepsi / Sierra Mist bottles are around .99, too. So, odds are with 3 purchases you spend $3 and get a $4 value. Not a bad deal.

Looking forward to seeing the Pepsi-iTunes ads!

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Originally posted by pdrayton
If you read the advertising trade magazines you'll see that Apple & Pepsi will be featured prominently in the ads from Pepsi.
Fair enough! I hadn't seen any mention of this.

"Rebranding" refers to a product... and is done when you want to get additional customers whom you don't currently have. The Pepsi iTunes promotion is NOT rebranding.... There's Pepsi, there's iTunes... two brands. No rebranding.

Not trying to rehash this argument, but just to clarify: I didn't say Pepsi were re-branding. But, like other companies who actually are re-branding music services, their primary goal is to promote their own brand name; not the underlying technology, or anyone else's brand.

pdrayton

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2004
Boston, MA
A good example of rebranding will be the iPod that is released under the HP label. Not sure what it will be called, but it won't be called "iPod".

Whatever it will be called it will be "rebranded".

It does all get rather confusing at times!

Neo_sonic

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2004
Ive a question about the pepsi deal.
so you get a winner cap. put the code in itunes. yeah yeah yeah.. then, do you get to choose any song? or are songs chosen and then you pick out of a list or whatever... thanks!

pdrayton

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2004
Boston, MA
The promotional bottles are out. iTunes gets prominent mention on the front of the bottle, and on the back where the promotion details are located the Apple logo is equal to the size of the Pepsi logo.

This is excellent exposure for Apple & iTunes. Will be interesting to see the Pepsi Super Bowl ads featuring the teens sued by RIAA which will air during the 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Pepsi iTunes Giveaway bottle label

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.