Pepsi/iTunes Superbowl Ad Details

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jan 23, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

USA Today offers details on the upcoming Pepsi/iTunes Superbowl ad campaign which will launch the 100 million iTunes song giveaway.

The new ad campaign will feature 20 teens who were sued by the Recording Industry Association of America for illegal music downloads.

Green Day is reported to have recorded a special version of "I Fought the Law" for the Pepsi ad. The ad will appear on Feb 1st during the Superbowl.

2. macrumors newbie

hehe awesome...I love marketing..

3. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

hahahahahahahaha

that's funny stuff. I can't wait - I've already started building up my pepsi tolerance.

4. macrumors 6502a

junior

Wow, Greenday used to be against iTunes. Greenday used to be totally against co-operating for TV ads.
    Now they've actually made a track specifically for this ad. Apple/Pepsi must be doing something right.

5. macrumors 65816

Photorun

Green Day sold out a LLOOONNNGGGG time ago.

6. macrumors regular

I fought the law .. and the law won?
    And.. I can now download stuff for free, but after I've purchased a sugared water. That's a new definition of free.

Well.. I'm sure the ad will get people's attention, and that's what it's made to do.

7. macrumors regular

jcshas

LOL...now that's innovation at it's best! thanks apple.

8. macrumors member

Yeah, Their offering a band that hasn't made much money lately a whole lot of money. They would’ve been stupid and starved if they hadn’t!

9. macrumors regular

TranceClubMusic

Music Downloads

Got Poison? :D

10. macrumors member

I believe that is what they call a "win-win" situation. I think this Pepsi/Apple thing is going to be HUGE.

11. macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

How long before the first newspaper article with some whiny knucklehead suing Apple and Pepsi after getting scammed with phony iTunes code numbers on eBay?

This could be the biggest law & order media campaign since "Just say no." Nancy Reagan, we thank you for inspiring us.

12. macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

too bad I hate pepsi.

but *that* is funny. Perfect commercial

13. macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

Ad looks like it will be really funny. Almost wish I hadn't read the teaser though. Those ads might be the best part of the Superbowl...no offense to any Patriots or Panthers fans. ;)

14. macrumors 68000

wPod

any ideas of anything to mix with pepsi? a rum and coke just doesnt taste the same when it is a rum and pepsi.

second time ive switched in two years, first from win-tel to mac, and soon from coke to pepsi. . . least while the giveaway is running!!!

good ad though! good to see greenday is still. . . alive!

15. macrumors 6502a

Gizmotoy

I think Long Island's taste better with Pepsi. The extra sweetness of the Pepsi works to dull the Sour mix. Mmm, tasty.

16. macrumors newbie

Ellen Feiss 2.0...?

17. macrumors 6502

Too much football, not enough commercials

You know, it's really irritating that they interrupt all the entertaining commercials with that silly football thing. Oh well. At least it gives me time to get more beer and chips before the commercials start again. :)

18. macrumors member

What can Pepsi haters do in order to get an itunes code number?

1. Force your children to drink that crap and keep the cap.
    2. Walk into a bodega and steal the caps off the bottles.
    3. See if they have one of those "No Purchase Necessary Disclosers" and mail away for one.

19. macrumors newbie

Yes, difinitely long island ice tea.... Much better with Pepsi. And I agree that rum+pepsi=bad.

20. macrumors regular

Hahaha! Great angle. It reminds me of the way The Simpsons constantly poke fun of FOX programming and Rupert Murdoch. Take that RIAA ^_^ You just know there is going to be alot of editorializing (as long as they talk about apple it will be good) about these commercials and unless there is some bombshell dropped by another company they will likely be the hit of the Superbowl. The editorializing will get irritating eventually. I can read it now "Edgy Pepsi/Apple Giveway Ad A Winner...But Sad Legal Battle Is Hotbutton Blah Blah Blah"

Bill O'Reilly "Blah Blah Blah values encourages kids to do legal thing blah blah blah underlies the blah blah isn't this just exploiting blah blah blah everything is wrong with younger people blah blah blah blah i don't know what i'm talking about but easily swayed people take my word as golden blah blah blah".

21. macrumors 6502a

Good stuff! I agree with the above, this thing is going to be HUGE!

By itself, Pepsi and Apple both have good commercials... together they should be quite the team!:D

22. macrumors 6502

i wish i wouldn't have read that...i would have liked the suspense...sounds like a fantastic ad (from a person who deals with advertising professionally)...

of course...i won't step foot in the states until long after this thing is over...boohoo...v

23. macrumors 6502a

bpd115

I love the ad...

and may I add (rimshot)

FINALLY A NEW MACRUMORS Posting!

Things have been quiet in Apple Land......too quiet.....

24. macrumors 6502a

paulypants

ugh greenday--they suck so bad
    I have no interest in watching the ad
    maybe I'll just turn the sound down
    so I can continue to use my ears
    the rest of my life

25. macrumors newbie

You could always drink Sierra Mist

If you don't like pepsi per se just drink Sierra Mist. The bottles will have the codes also.