Pepsi/iTunes Superbowl ads this year?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by hotwire132002, Jan 27, 2005.

1. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Has anybody else noticed that on the "iTunes/Pepsi" page, if you submit your email, the thank-you page (here) says "Watch for our ads during the Super Bowl?" I'm guessing this means a new Super Bowl ad... any ideas what's going on with that?

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

That's cool! I wonder if there will also be an ad for the rumored new PowerBook. That would be cool. Or if not that, maybe the mini Mac

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

wouldnt the ads just be for the iTunes promotion? not a whole new product... why would pepsi have anything to do with a new product?

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I meant Apple might have a separate ad for its products. If the dual core or PBG5 rumors are true, this would be a great place to announce it. And given the smashing success of the mac mini, this might be the time to put it on an even bigger stage.

5. five04 macrumors member

i don't think apple would have an apple specific commercial due to the extremely high cost of a time slot compared with the benefits of the commercial. if we look back a year ago, the pepsi/itunes commercial really didn't do much of anything in the long run and the itunes promotion wasn't exactly what i'd call a success in terms of getting more people to use itunes. then again, we are here a year later when ipod popularity has exploded. going back to apple, though, the only thing i could see apple putting out there would be for the mac mini. perhaps it's the new imac in terms of giving apple the boost it needs and some media attention from a really good superbowl ad could be beneficial. still, i think we'll end up seeing some crappy ad like we saw last year. if i'm not mistaken, pepsi paid for the ad.

6. Mac_Linux macrumors newbie

Superbowl ads are a waste of money.

Apple needs to sell a boatload of iPods to pay for 1 ad at $2.4 million.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I expect that the ad will be very similar to last year. It will be to promote Apple and the iTMS free downloads. Don't think Apple will do anything separate.

8. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

I can't see any chance in a PB superbowl commercial. A switch commercial would be the best thing to do in my opinion. They will definitely not do a PB commercial, since PB buyers aren't even as likely to watch the SuperBowl as the average Windows user. Thats the market Apple should go after.

But...what if they announced iBook G5s and PB G5s with a superbowl ad? I could see that happening since both have been rumored for the 2nd quarter (we're in Apple's fiscal 2nd quarter, and the calendar's 1st). Theres still a slim chance for that.

9. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

in the time it takes me to type this, i think that's just shy of happening at this point in time.

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Apple's original "1984" ad was worth what they paid for it (much less than $2.4 million, but it would be worth that much today). They're not going to do an ad unless it can have that kind of an impact, but if they do, it will be something to see.