Perfect Dark Zero Reviews

Discussion in 'Games' started by kuyu, Nov 21, 2005.

1. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

The system launches in t-minus 15 minutes, and the reviews for PDZ are finally hitting the web. The verdict?

Awesome.

Gamespot gave the game a 9/10 and talkxbox gave it a 9.7/10. Not bad at all. That makes Call of Duty II, PGR3, PDZ, and Condemned all above 8.5/10. In IGN's world that's good enough for editor's choice. Four on day one... The DS only has 11 editor's choice games from its entire first year (and 4 of them came out this month)! *I love my DS so don't flame me.

Best launch lineup I've ever seen. Now if only the console was easy to get we'd really have something;)

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

i've heard good and bad. I heard its just like any other rare game (lackluster characters, terrible bosses etc). but hey, if its better than Goldeneye then i may have to look into it.

3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Thats some news i was waiting to hear, although i would love to get a 360 at launch i am going to wait a bit longer....

Shadow

4. crachoar macrumors 6502a

I guess none of you guys have bothered to watch the videos of PDZ?

More or less - it looks to be the worst game ever created. The animations and 'physics' are nothing short of terrible. It looks worse than your standard EA rush-job.

Props to Nintendo for selling that awful studio for $375,000,000.

5. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Play it, then we'll talk.

6. crachoar macrumors 6502a

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

the trailers i saw doesnt look that good but i would give it a try....im not buying it but if anyone wants to sell it for a low low price then im down.

Bless

8. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Tell me, is ignorance bliss?

9. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

It's probably easier to post about how much it sucks (what's the point, really?). Sorry you're missing out. Oh well, to each his own.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'll have a play on this in the coming weeks. I'll give my verdict then. But chances are I won't like it. im open minded and all, but since Goldeneye Rare just went downhill. Perfect Dark was barely OK if you liked juttery graphics. But it did not surpass Goldeneye in terms of sheer fun-ness.
    The co-op was a bit fun, but the FPS took a sever beating.

I'm not a fan of prequels too. Its like... if you've played the original game then you know what characters survive and what they're like. i suppose they're for the people who want to know how characters got where they are?

I'll wait. but im quietly confident that Rare have yet again released a mediocre game.

11. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Gamespot? Meh... I'll wait for the Eurogamer review. :cool:

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm not going to complain about a game I've never played, but I will complain about the review.

From what I've heard, enemies go flying when you shoot them. This is NOT realistic. Anyone who's ever watched Mythbusters knows this. I remember them using an illegal-for-civilians armor-peircing gun and it only knocked back the dummy (which they built with a bulletproof vest and steel skelleton; the vest got peirced and the bullet went halfway into the thick block of steel) back about two inches. A normal gun barely knocked it backwards at all.

13. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Just played some PDZ with a couple of my friends here... we all gave it an enthusiastic "eh...".

Gimme Halo any day...

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I doubt that. Some very (un)talented studios have tried very hard to capture that title.

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

SuperMan 64 and Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing would disagree with that.

Especially Big Rigs. The videos I saw of that game still give me nightmares.

16. nimbus macrumors regular

Finally played Xbox 360 at Best Buy on a HUGE HDTV with surround sound.

The Verdict? "Meh."

It just was not the next gen system I thought it'd be. Xbox Live should be good though, but all it offers so far is good graphics, and to be honest...its not that good.

The number of objects on screen and the backdrops are impressive, but that's about it. But its launch, and thats when you get the sucky games. Xbox 360 truly lacks a major game, besides Halo 3. I feel sorry for them when PS3 comes out. You can only threaten to pull out the trump card (Halo 3) once. But PS3 has about 8 trump cards. Gran Theft, Gran Turismo, Tekken, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid, etc etc. Not to mention other cool features.

Xbox 360 will do well this xmas though since it has no real competition. I wonder what saps bought the CORE system...:rolleyes:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/668/668446p1.html

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

personally Rare lost me with this title on the first concept art where joanna looked pretty comically ..from there i knew the series is on way down... for the love of god if you read the official "bio" of her which got releaseda few weeks ago they essentially turned her from a british secret agent to a "born in the US but with british parents" bounty hunter

and then of course it's pretty hard to live up the unbelievable amount of features the original introduced at it's time on a _console_ : co-op. counter op, taking away guns from your opponents, the erazor like gun, adrenaline (slow-mo for single palyer), more than 60 weapons, the laptop-turrent gun, controllable missiles, mines disguised as rifles for pickup,..

what does Perfect Dark zero what was never been done before on a console shooter ? ... somehow the list gets rather short

it might be not a bad shooter but it's nothing breath taking..after all the game still includes exploding barrels painted in red ;)

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

uh-oh. but thats what happens i suppose when a Yorkshire game company gets moved over to the US. -_-

19. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Gran Turismo 5 may or may not be better than Forza Motorsport 2 (which I hope is in development). GT4 vs. FM is close, and really depends on what you look for in a sim (more cars/tracks vs. more accurate physics and better graphics). If FM can get more cars (F1 cars would be awesome :D) and more tracks (Spa! <3), It would most definitely give GT5 a run for the money.
    Tekken has been around forever, since one of the Virtua Fighter sequels I think. The next Grand Theft Auto will likely be more of the same. You can really only go so far with the lawlessness and violence before you end up with Postal 2.

20. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

The question is, is PDZ better than TimeSplitters 3??? (You know, the game made by all the talented people who used to work for RARE)

Best launch lineup ever? Not one must own game in the bunch. Gamecube had Smash Bros Melee (okay, like a few weeks later but bah at you), the 64 had Mario 64, ecksbawks: Halo, the Revolution will have Mario 128, Smash Bros Online, Metroid Prime 3, maybe Zelda: Twilight Princess... Hell, the DS at least had Mario 64 DS... when's generic angry shooter number 349 (aka Gears of War) coming out?

21. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

PGR3 is a must own, without a doubt. More fun than GT3 or 4.

22. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

I know that I'm gonna get flamed for this, but..... Grand Theft Auto since III and MGS since the one on PS1 have been some of the most overrated games of all time. MGS2 has to be the cheesiest game of all time.

As for Perfect Dark Zero, bought it and Call of duty, but I haven't been able to put COD down long enough to play PDZ...

23. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

back to perfect dark zero, i haven't played it yet, but i have some friends who have said that it's great. these friends of mine play halo all the time (before the 360 came out - and they still play it), so maybe that helps to show what type of gamers they are.

i've also read that you can play multiplayer against the computer, which to me seems like a great idea, so people who aren't the greatest can practice, and if you don't have live, you can still play "slayer" in halo terms. if i got this game, this is probably all i would play.

24. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Was that the trucking game with no sound and you could drive through anything? And your one racing opponant truck wouldn't move, he'd just sit on the starting line?

25. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Ditto. I have done some PDZ co-op, though. That's lots of fun!