Perfect TV for PS3/Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Games' started by Cooknn, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Afer watching a Blu-Ray movie on my old 1080i rear projection HDTV I decided it was time to upgrade. I knew gaming would surely get an improvement too. I looked at a number of 1080p sets, but the one that really grabbed my attention was the Sony 46" Bravia XBR3 ($3893 at Magnolia Home Theater / Best Buy).
    [​IMG]
    Not only is this LCD beautiful to look at, mine's perfect - no dead or stuck pixels. Watching Blu-Ray movies is incredible. It's better than the movie theater, IMHO. Not even sure if film has a resolution, but this is just amazing. On to gaming. Everyting I have so far for the PS3 is 720p. With the old box I was getting pushed back to 480p. It's amazing what a difference that other 240 pixels can make. Regarding Blu-Ray - just today I've watched Silent Hill and The Great Raid on the new set. All I can say is WOW. My Onkyo TXSR502 performs beautifully for Dolby Digital EX as well, and compliments the new TV nicely.

Anyways, I've already found a home for the old box - the ex is taking it off my hands. At least my boys will still get to enjoy Hi-Def when they're not at my house :p

2. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I'd like one of those.... :(

It looks amazing, and I am sure it performs great as well.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Depending on who you talk to the digital resolution equivalent to film is 4k-6k. 1080p is a bit under 2k.

Lethal

4. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

It looks a lot bigger in your living room that it does in that picture :D

5. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Where do people find money to lay down for these beasts? I mean, damn!
    (not heckling, just in awe)
    I guess it's cause I'm 18 with $60k of student loans to pay off when I'm done. :D

Looks like an amazing machine.

6. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I have a full time job, a part time job and a small photography business to support my habits eh, lifestyle ;) Get your degree, make good choices, and someday soon you'll be making a lot more than me - and probably have more free time as well. As it is currently, I'm lucky if I have two nights a week to sit in front of the TV :eek:

7. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

8. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Sony VPL-VW50. 1080p projector, up to 300" diagonal, 15,000:1 contrast ratio, etc. etc.
    Add a screen, and I'm in business.

Well, once I get $4k :(

10. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Nice! If I wasn't stuck in a 1,000 SqFt condo I might have looked seriously at that :D

11. aj98 macrumors member

for about 1000 less, consider the KDL-4xV2500.
    1080 native, 2 HDMI ins.

Essentially the same as the one you are looking at, but a different sound processor chip. (Sound features added to the XBR made no difference to me, as I route everything through an AV receiver)

Got the 40" version from BBuy as an unadvertised in-store-only sale on Black Friday for 1749.

Best sale price before or after has been 2250.