Performa 630CD Box

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by rockthecasbah, Jul 10, 2005.

1. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Hello,
    I know nothing about the values of antique / very old computers, old Apples in particular. My mom wanted to throw out her 12 year old Apple Performa 630CD box which has been in our crawl-space for however the 12 year we've had it. I was trying to convince her to save the box and when the STILL WORKING COMPUTER is considered an antique sell it box and all.

My question is basically is it worth keeping for when that time comes? It has many memorable phrases like "8mb on board memory expandable to 36mb" and a flashy orange sticker claiming "POWER PC UPGRADE-READY." That alone made me think I should keep it. We also have the Apple printer to go along with it and its box. If any of you could give your 2 cents I'd be quite appreciative. :)

2. 40167 macrumors regular

I had one of those... well I still do, but it never gets used. I belive it was the last 68k model produced by apple, so to work with it today is kinda hard... OS 8.1 is the max and well, you can only use old software. I got 36mb ram in mine and loading up stuff like slashdot.org or cnn.com will crush the thing; normaly requring a reboot.

So yeah, its a working computer... but would anyone with half a brain work with it today? Not unless they really had to.

3. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I kinda resent that, and Im sure Im not the only one that does.

4. 40167 macrumors regular

lol, Well a true mac geek would still use a macintosh plus or so. Though to a regular user, it wouldn't be practical.

5. rockthecasbah thread starter macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

It is amazing how wonderfully it works. You guys would be suprised. Total bootup time for OS 7.5 is the same as the day we got it, its like 20 seconds maximum. My mom had used it for word processing out poems for her class in Clarissworks and was perfect until she started being lazy and paying me to do it on my computer, tee hee.

Other memorable games:: Sim City 2000, Oregon Trail 2,and of course Battlefield (the 3-D geometric thing with a tank).

So back to my question, is there any value to saving this box? I mean i just think it's hilarious, but the "POWERPC UPDGRADE-READY" sticker makes me think it could have some value especially in a combined sale with the computer :)

6. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

If I had it, I'd definitely keep the box, even if only for the coolness factor.

7. aquajet macrumors 68020

I resent that too. Sometimes I like to use my Mac Plus when I do creative writing. I like the fact it is silent (and I mean silent!), and has a minimalist UI compared to my PowerBook G4. Allows me to focus more on what I'm doin... :)

8. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Keep it

I bought my 630CD new (1994), my kids use it still, because it is loaded with educational programs and games. I like to use ClarisWorks on it because the software runs fast. I guess upgrading such a computer would be a waste of money; but the fact that it boots up and runs fine is testament to the quality that Apple puts into their computers. My only worry is the monitor is going to not work someday and where would I find a replacement. Just note, right beside it sits a all in one 550 Performa that still boots and works.

9. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

I'm curious about the Power PC upgrades. Did Apple ever make these? What were their processors speeds? How much were they? Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of them?

My first Mac was a Performa 630. Fun little machine! It was hooked up to a pro midi controller and had a TV tuner card. Also had Photoshop 2.5 installed on it. It was definitely capable! The main stumbling block was always its 250mb HD, I was constantly having to back up onto floppy and delete more files.