Performa 6360 ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BernieRS, Oct 29, 2006.

1. BernieRS macrumors newbie

I'm trying to activate ethernet on a Performa 6360. "Ethernet" is not listed in the TCP/IP control panel. It's running Mac OS 8.6 and the network card is an Apple PCI Fast Ethernet 5A0026. The router sees the Mac and the lights light up on the card. Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

It's been a while, but you might have to select ethernet in the AppleTalk Control Panel first. Switch it from printer or modem port, something like that, if AppleTalk isn't active then it usually asks you if you want it to be.

I skipped the 'ethernet' extension bit because you said the lights are flashing so I guessing that's all in place, I added an ethernet card to a 6500 once and that was dead until the extension was in.

there are a couple of general ethernet extensions kinda 'openTransport' type stuff, that might be worth a check if AppleTalk doesn't fix it.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Like kettle, it's been quite some time since I used a 6360, however I don't recall running into any problems. Have you tried using the Internet Setup Assistant to configure basic settings?

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

IIRC, OS 8.6 had an ethernet extension, which must be activated in the Extensions Manager.

5. BernieRS thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, all of you. Ethernet is not available in AppleTalk and TCP/IP control panels. I checked Extensions Manager, which shows a bunch of ethernet-related extensions, as well as OpenTransport 2.x stuff--all enabled. Went through Internet Setup Assistant as well, which created a new entry but kept the original AOL Link Enhanced "Connect Via" setting, which is for the current dialup access. I'm now trying to set up access through our free neighborhood MetroFi wifi, using a Ruckus Metro Broadband Gateway, which works just fine on a PC. The light on the gateway is on for a good ethernet connection to the Mac and the two 100 lights are steady on on the Mac PCI card. What would make the "Connect via Ethernet" option not show up in either control panel?

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

It doesn't matter if you have anything plugged into it or not... if "Ethernet" is not available, then your computer doesn't think you have an ethernet card. Either the drivers are bad, the drivers are disabled, or your card itself is bad.

7. RileyIL77 macrumors newbie

I have a Performa 6200CD with Ethernet, which I had to buy the ethernet from eBay. My Performa came with Mac OS 7.5 which would not see the ethernet card. I searched the Internet and read were Mac OS 6.X to 8.X didn't do ethernet right, but in Mac OS 9.X - Mac OS X it was corrected. I downloaded a copy of Mac OS 9.0.4 and installed it, doing a complete wipe of the hard drive on the Performa. Ethernet and internet access works fine now. Mac OS won't do share files with Windows machines, but I found there is program called PC-MACLAN for Windows 9X/ME/NT/2K/XP that allows this. But I also found a cheaper and easier to configure answer! I installed Fetch 4.0.3 on my Performa, and using an FTP server program I bought nearly 6 months ago for my BBS/FTP Windows PC, I can log on to the FTP server via the Mac and such to transfer files. Everything is working fine now. So you might want to try Mac OS 9.X to see it that helps.

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Firstly, Mac OS 9 is a not-so-good choice for pre-G3 machines due to speed issues. Secondly, as stated above, a proper install of Mac OS 7.5.5 or 7.6.1 will see a working Apple ethernet card. So something is wrong either with the card or the drivers.

It is not an issue of Mac OS 7 "not doing ethernet right" - millions of people have or had Mac OS 7 machines that networked just fine via all sorts of technologies, including ethernet.

9. BernieRS thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure enough! I found and installed another recycled Apple PCI Fast Ethernet card for a buck, and "Ethernet" now shows up as a choice in the TCP/IP control panel. I got my free neighborhood wireless internet to work through a Buffalo ethernet adapter and my wife is happy with her much faster then dialup AOL email on her vintage Performa 6360 with TV tuner.

10. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

Can you offer up any advice as to bridging the connection and such for the MetroFi connection? I am using OSX and got a Buffalo adapter but I have been unsuccessful in getting it to work so far. I am still tethering using my cell phone.