Performa 6400 motherboard in 5200 case.

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Alabaster, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Alabaster macrumors newbie

Alabaster

Had the two computers sitting around so i figure i would try it because the 6400 has no monitor. Managed to mount the 5200 cover plate on the board perfectly and inserted it in the 5200. At first boot up the screen was brighter around the outside but once i got a working 6400 Disk tools floppy into it the problem appeared to be fixed. The only problem is the fan was very loud and constant. The 6400 is overclocked to 240MHZ witch might cause this problem. I unplugged the fan the the cpu locked up altogether when booting. I am not sure how i would go about solving this. Tomorrow i will either take the cpu back to its original 200mhz or underclock it to 180mhz. Would adding a resistor to the fan be a good idea? Any advice would be appreciated.:)

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I advise you not to do that. The 5200 and 6400 are both totally different in terms of power requirements and heat dispersion. At the very least, you'd also have to transfer the power supply from the 6400 to the 5200.

3. Alabaster thread starter macrumors newbie

Alabaster

Thx for the reply, it seemed to have worked but i dont want to use it if its not safe. I will plobably put the machine back together as 75mhz:( . I have tortured all my old apple computers too much. I guess ill have to take them to the dumpster. Would have really liked to use system 7 again, but 75 is too slow for me.