Performa 6400- Which OS???

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by bbaxter, Jan 5, 2003.

1. bbaxter macrumors newbie

I have a couple of questions.

#1 - I have a Performa 6400/200 with 136MB Ram. Which OS suits this computer best? Which runs fastest?

#2 - Is a processor card worth the money for this computer?

#3 - I also have a Powerbook 3400/200 with 144MB Ram. Which OS is fastest for this one?

I have 8, 8.1, 8.5, 8.6, 9, & 9.1.

2. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I'd say 8.6 for both because it's nearly as compatible as 9 but runs faster than it's later incarnations. If 8.6 doesn't work (8.5 + 8.6 update) you could always try 9 and erase and install an older version of the OS.

3. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

I don't know, I like OS 9 on my Performa 6360. It is pretty snappy, but I don't have much else on it. Like Billicus says, if you try it and don't like it, you can always wipe it and start over.

Regards,
    Gus

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I have to agree with Billicus. As a general rule I don't install OS 9 on any computer less than a G3 because of the performance hit. (Maybe some of the higher end pre-G3 PowerMacs, but not much else.) 8.6 is probably best for both your comps.

Personally, I wouldn't spend the money to put an upgrade card in it; but I'm not sure how much it's worth to you. Are you thinking of hanging onto it for a few more years? To me, the 136MB RAM limit and the 40MHz bus is a little too limiting.

5. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

The OS that suits your computers best isn't on the list: 7.6.1. It's the fastest and most stable.

OS 8.x is really a poor and slow OS. If you must go with 8 then go with 8.6.

A processor card for a 6400 is not worth the money unless you have some kind of attatchment to that computer.

6. Gringo macrumors newbie

Definitly 8.6

had the same computer and with 9 it was ok, fast enough for me, but crashed often... 8.6 was way more stable and plus, it's really fast and takes away less resources... you can leave it at 11 Ram of usage if you really know how to get those extentions you only use activated and the rest turned off.

Save the money on the expantion card and get a G3. go fo the 233 at least... it'll be cheapper and will definitly be a lot faster and will run 9.2.2. Even OS X, although very poorly.

HTH,

G.-

7. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I was going to mention something about System 7 to him, but alas I have had countless problems with OS 7 on my 6300 and have found Os 8 to be better on there. I use both at school and have also found the ones with OS 8.6 (or .5) to be more stable and crash less. OS 9 would bog down the system too much :rolleyes: and wouldn't be an optimal usage of your systems.

8. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I was going to mention something about System 7 to him, but alas I have had countless problems with OS 7 on my 6300 and have found Os 8 to be better on there. I use both at school and have also found the ones with OS 8.6 (or .5) to be more stable and crash less. OS 9 would bog down the system too much :rolleyes: and wouldn't be an optimal usage of your systems.

9. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

10. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

8.6. Faster than 9, more features than 7.x, less buggy than previos 8.x versions.

Even on an iMac with a G3 (233MHz), 9 slowed it down too much. Downgrading to 8.6 solved that problem.