Performance improvement from Virtual PC 6 to 7

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sanclemente, Aug 3, 2005.

1. sanclemente macrumors newbie

I can't seem to get a web program to work on anything except IE on my desktop PC. Doesn't even work with firefox or Netscape on the PC. I also have a 1Ghz Powerbook, 512MB Ram, 30Gb 4200rpm Hard drive that I use as my main computer. I have virtual PC 6 installed and it runs so slow I'm constantly just giving up and walking over to my Desktop. Is there any performance increase I would get by buying Virtual PC 7? Or would adding more ram and a faster Hard drive to my laptop be a better option? Let me know your thoughts.

2. qtip919 macrumors 6502

why dont you just use remote desktop to the PC?

I have a really fast PC plugged into my router and I RDC over to it from my powerbook...

shoot, you would almost be convinced that I have WinXP running on my powerbook except for the very slight coloring degradation

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Improvement? Yes
    Worth it? Probably not :(

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There's really nothing you can do to VPC to make it significantly faster however this thread may help a little. :)

5. witness macrumors 6502

I agree, you probably won't notice any benefits with VPC7, but if you have a Windows Box already remote desktop is your best bet.

I use VPC7 on a 1.67Ghz PowerBook and I try to avoid using it as much as possible, it's just so slow. When at home I use RDP to a windows box if I need to, it's much faster.

6. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

This is what i do too. I fooled a few people running this as VPC is way too slow to be believable. RDC is built into XP so unless you are running really old software it should be easy enough to enable. Also if you have an older version of windows just install VNC on your pc and Apple Remote desktop client on your mac. I'm pretty sure ARD supports VNC if you fiddle with the options.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm pretty sure it's only in the Pro edition. The home edition won't let you connect to it although there could well be a patch somewhere to overcome this. :)

8. witness macrumors 6502

That's right, RDP works in Windows 2000 Server, Windows XP (one user at a time), and all Windows 2003 Server editions.

With XP you need to enable it. Right click on my computer, select properties and go to the remote tab and check the remote desktop checkbox. If you're an administrator (most users are in XP) then you don't need to select remote users. You also need to have a password setup to use RDP, you can set one up by clicking start and then on your name at the top of the menu (unless you're using a domain account, but unless your doing this at work you probably won't have this, and domain accounts have to have passwords anyway).

If you are using W2kPro XP Home or 9x then you can use VNC, it's a little slower than RDP, but it will still be faster than VPC on a local network.

(So many lovely acronyms :) )

9. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

MMM, i keep forgetting about the home edition. I think you are right though. VNC will work in that case anyway.

Thanks for reminding me, at least it saves him from looking for it now :)

Here is a quick how-to guide i found on google

10. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I have run Virtual PC 7.0 with XP in an iMac G4 1GHz with 768 mbytes RAM. The performance increase I saw over version 6 was very big. Really, it is worth the Upgrade.

11. sanclemente thread starter macrumors newbie

I've used RDC on occasion at home, my PC has XP Pro on it. It worked great so that is a definite solution for when I'm at home, I just need to find a solution for when I'm not at my home PC, which is often. Is there anything like GoToMyPC.com that will work from a Mac? Or are there any other browsers that are similar to IE 6 that I could try. I've tried Safari, Mozilla, Netscape, Firefox and IE for the Mac. Thanks for the suggestions.

12. witness macrumors 6502

You can still use RDP from where ever you are. You just need to map a port on your router to your computer that you want to connect to. If you have you mac with you then you can use RDC if you have a windows computer then you can use the activex RDC that will work from any ie browser.

Actually the best thing to do is to connect to your home network using a VPN it's a bit more tricky, but it's much more secure (it's what I use). Then you don't need to map a port on your router either.

13. sanclemente thread starter macrumors newbie

Any suggestions on how to set up a VPN to my home PC or where to find information about how to do it? That sounds like the best solution to me, since the PC is almost always on. I'm using Cable Broadband an Airport Extreme base station, and XP Pro if that helps.

14. witness macrumors 6502

Well my router has a vpn server built in, if yours does then that will be the easiest way, otherwise you'll have to setup a software vpn server. Windows 2003 server has one built in though I've never tried it and there are lots available for Linux, there may even be free ones for Windows XP, but I've never looked.