Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kee123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2007
Hi all, I've recently been having some weird performance issues on my 2 month old Macbook 1.83ghz 512mb and I'm hoping someone can help.

I've done nothing different to the Macbook than I normally do (not that I'm aware of anyway) and today I've noticed some freezing and hanging when doing different things. At first I just thought it was under a heavy load after running Photoshop and other apps, but after a restart I noticed the freezing again, then I realised that it happens everytime I cmd+tab to switch between apps, the whole screen would freeze but I'm still able to move the cursor, it unfreezes after a minute or so.
Another issue, probably related, is when I open FrontRow, it's severly laggy, taking up to a few minutes to respond and frequently freezing.

The startup time has severly increased too, the login box normally appears straight away, but now it takes minutes to appear.

I've noticed nothing wrong with CPU Usage and Memory etc.

Hopefully someone can help, thanks.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
- Applications>utilities>Disk utility>Repair Permissions+Verify Disk.
- Check if any updates are pending in software update.
- Make sure nothing is hogging CPU time. Terminal>type-in top (or use Activity Monitor).
- 1 GB of RAMs to run tiger smoothly is recommended.

Kee123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2007
- Applications>utilities>Disk utility>Repair Permissions+Verify Disk.
- Check if any updates are pending in software update.
- Make sure nothing is hogging CPU time. Terminal>type-in top (or use Activity Monitor).
- 1 GB of RAMs to run tiger smoothly is recommended.

- Tried that, didn't fix it.
- No updates
- Checked, it's fine.
- 512MB Ram has allowed it to run completely smoothly for over 2 months now.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
- Tried that, didn't fix it.
- No updates
- Checked, it's fine.
- 512MB Ram has allowed it to run completely smoothly for over 2 months now.

Check if you haven't run out of HD space, make sure you have at least a couple of gigs free. Try as well Mac janitor.

If that doesn't work for you then I am afraid I have ran out of ideas :eek:. May be some other macrumors members have something new to add.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
I have a similar issue, but only when opening time and date in system prefences... it hangs like crazy. takes a good 2-3 minutes to load it up.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
I have the freezing with time and date too. I had my hard drive replaced by Apple last Teusday, and since then, with the new OS X install I have had this issue. Can't find a fix though.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
I am afraid you will have to do a fresh OS X install then :(. If the problem still persists then take your MB to Apple.

g-7

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2006
Poland
- 512MB Ram has allowed

512 MB on an Intel Mac? :eek:

It should be strictly forbidden to sell those machines with anything below 1GB.
Really, please do upgrade RAM. 512 MB is strangling your Mac, making
the dynamic_pager go crazy saving and reading swap files.

Open the Activity Monitor application and take a look at "Page ins/outs"
in "System Memory" tab at the bottom. If the "Page outs" number is higher than
"Page ins", lack of RAM is the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.