performance loss with 3GB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pit29, Oct 26, 2006.

1. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Hi all,

I just read in another post that having 3GB's installed in a new MBP would loose you 128Bit access, however, there were no details following. Will memory access actually be slower when you have 3GB and, therefore, would having just 2GBs the better choice?

Thank you...
    Pit

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You'd be better off with more RAM then dual channel.

3. levitynyc macrumors 65816

I thought the same thing until I did some research. Dual Channel Ram is a waste of time. In all benchmark tests, paired Ram showed no advantages over non paired when when using a non-integrated graphics card.

3GB of Ram will ALWAYS outperform 2GB.

4. Butthead macrumors 6502

Butthead

None what so ever? Which benchmarks, can you post a link ;) ?

http://www.barefeats.com/mbcd2.html

"DO MATCHING MEMORY PAIRS MAKE IT GO FASTER?
    We tested the MacBook Pro with both matching pairs of 1GB SDRAM and non-matching pairs (one 1GB and one 256MB module). There were gains: 51% in Quake 3, 18% in Doom 3, 2.5% in iMovie, and 3.5% in Photoshop CS.
    "

"THERE IS MORE TO SPEED THAN A FAST CPU
    Your laptop spends much of its time reading from and writing to the internal hard drive. You can increase performance by installing a faster hard drive. Hitachi and Seagate have notebook 7200RPM drives that hold 100GB. Apple now offers a 7200rpm Configure To Order option when you purchase the MacBook Pro online.

"Expanding your memory to the maximum 2GB can increase performance in two ways:
    1) The more memory you have, the less time is spent transferring to/from the disk based virtual memory.
    2) Applications like Photoshop and Motion use memory as cache. If you don't have enough, they are forced to use the hard drive as scratch area.

Unfortunately, you can't upgrade the graphics processing unit (GPU) as you can with Power Macs. It's a shame that Apple's innovation doesn't include socket based GPU modules -- similar to what AlienWare uses with their laptops
    "

5. levitynyc macrumors 65816

The increase in speed was due to the overall Ram increase....not the dual channel functionality.

Hence my arguement that 3GB of Ram will outperform 2GB...which is why they offer in the first place.

6. ModestPenguin macrumors 6502

ModestPenguin

Paired ram is faster than non pared ram, in a way as such that 2 X 1GB of ram will be faster than 1 X 2GB of ram. However 3GB of ram will ALWAYS be faster than 2GB of ram for obvious reasons, now weather or not the OP needs to spend the cash on the extra gig should be the true question.

7. 04440 macrumors member

Too expensive...

Yeah.. It's just too expensive.. Maybe I'll wait until it is dropped in half.. and then I'll upgrade.. I wish it had four slots like the other Dells.. BUt nothing beats this beauty:cool:

8. levitynyc macrumors 65816

Hell, if he has the money..then why not...3GB will give you an advantage when running Rosetta Photoshop.

9. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

has anyone recieved a macbook pro with 3gb of ram yet? if so can you perform benchmark tests and compare your's to this one with 2gb of ram for us http://lartren.com/mac/
    ..........look at bottom of page, compare to 3d mark test.