Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

continentalg5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Hello all, I just have a few questions regarding my 24" iMac. So far the machine has been great, but certain things don't seem right to me. Firstly the boot up times for my machine since DAY 1 have been roughly 60-100 seconds, and for Windows running through boot camp i can wait up to 3 minutes just staring at a black screen until all of a sudden my desktop shows up. Those numbers are SLOWER than the iMac G4 that it replaced. I called Apple about that but they said they couldn't do anything about it, and that it is all the software I have on it (it's only got the default software on it currently). Isn't this machine supposed to boot up within 30 seconds? Secondly, sometimes programs will just quit out all by themselves and then give me the classic Windows line "Would you like to send a report." This has happened more to me in the two weeks of ownership than my entire time with the G4 iMac. Other than that it has been great to me. Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

(iMac specs are 2.16, 500GB, 7600GT, 2GB RAM)

bluewire

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
Bay Area, California
continentalg5 said:
Hello all, I just have a few questions regarding my 24" iMac. So far the machine has been great, but certain things don't seem right to me. Firstly the boot up times for my machine since DAY 1 have been roughly 60-100 seconds, and for Windows running through boot camp i can wait up to 3 minutes just staring at a black screen until all of a sudden my desktop shows up. Those numbers are SLOWER than the iMac G4 that it replaced. I called Apple about that but they said they couldn't do anything about it, and that it is all the software I have on it (it's only got the default software on it currently). Isn't this machine supposed to boot up within 30 seconds? Secondly, sometimes programs will just quit out all by themselves and then give me the classic Windows line "Would you like to send a report." This has happened more to me in the two weeks of ownership than my entire time with the G4 iMac. Other than that it has been great to me. Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

(iMac specs are 2.16, 500GB, 7600GT, 2GB RAM)

Hey bro.

Got the same exact specc'd iMac. I do not have any of the problems that you are reporting. My computer loads in about 30 seconds flat from off to on. Which applications are quitting on you? I've had that happen just a few times with non-universal programs...but not very often and not with major programs like Office or iWork or iLife type programs. Once was with Firefox I believe.

Hope that helps and I hope you can get your problem rectified. I

rfoap

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2005
I have the same spec machine, and like bluewire, mine takes about 30 seconds to boot into OS X. Booting into XP seems to take a bit longer, but definitely not 3 minutes.

As for the applications crashing, like bluewire mentioned, it probably stems from a non-UB (Universal Binary) application that you have. What applications give you the error? For example, I've been able to find many of the necessary QuickTime codecs needed to run AVIs and MPEGs, but some AVIs will still crash QuickTime and cause the error you mentioned.

mrcammy

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2006
Make sure your startup disk is selected in preferences. maybe it's timing out looking for a network boot. Just a thought...

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
mrcammy said:
Make sure your startup disk is selected in preferences. maybe it's timing out looking for a network boot. Just a thought...
Startup disk is the big thing to look for. I had similar problems until I selected my Mac drive in the Startup Disk control panel in OS X. As for Windows booting up slow, it seems to me to be much slower than my 20" iMac or Mac Pro was but with all of the problems I had with my first 24" iMac and Windows, I am just glad this one works at all.

volk

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2006
I have the exact same configuration also. I have none of the issues you are reporting except for the occassional app quit. I have had a couple of Rosetta apps unexpectedly quit, but that's about all. My machine boots in 20-30 seconds...and I have a LOT of software installed.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
Dont Hurt Me said:
I wonder if Windblows is being ran on the iMac with no virus protection? If so..................................it would explain everything.

No it wouldn't, only the slow boot time in Windows. Windows cannot see HFS (mac formatted) volumes and such, viruses will be contaminated on the Windows drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.