Perhaps we need a subsection for iWeb

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by dornoforpyros, Feb 20, 2006.

1. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Since the release of iWeb a number of threads have shown up in the web design forum along the lines of "hey check out my new iWeb page" or "problems with iWeb"

Now I don't really want to start some elitist thing but I'm thinking perhaps iWeb support/critiques should have their own sub section under web design as previously the forum had been mostly professionals helping each other out with hard code css/php/actionscript and quite frankly I think iWeb is a step down from what had been going on.

This is just a thought of mine.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

A very fair point but by the same token, a lot of the other "support" forums around here have a very diverse mixture of complexity in their threads. :)

3. dornoforpyros thread starter macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

fair enough I suppose, I just hate to see a forum that was formally for professionals dumbed down to the point of a consumer app. :rolleyes:

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

That comment doesn't sit well with me. I feel like MacRumors has and should be open to people of all skill and knowledge levels. I'm a newbie and I derive incredible advice here.

Why should MacRumors suddenly shoo away 'consumer' level people?

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i agree with you on this one devilot.
    its a Web Development Forum, meaning its for all not just for professional users. MacRumors is a mix of Mac Users, and thus the forums are all going to have a decent mixture of pro to consumer to newbies in them.

6. dornoforpyros thread starter macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

I'm not suggesting that MR shoo away consumers, I'm just saying there is a difference between iWeb users putting together websites for their family photos and professionals building flash and/or php sites. And perhaps this difference should be catered to.

7. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Hear, hear. I've no patience for elitists. Seems to me the solution is simply to ignore the post or, better yet, share your knowledge and move on.

Otherwise, the same argument could be made for every section on MR. Think about it: Would anyone advocate "pro" sections for laptops, desktops and iPods and separate "consumer" sections for the same?

8. dornoforpyros thread starter macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Meh I guess I'm wrong, I just hope one day apple creates an iApp that will make everyone and their mom think they can do your profession, then we'll talk about elitism.

9. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

As a creative professional with 15+ years experience, I understand your point but fail to see the competitive threat from apps like iWeb. It's not exactly "Dreamweaver," nor is it intended to be.

Does anyone buy iWeb to produce a "professional" Web site? Are the people who would accept an iWeb-designed site -- in its current iteration anyway -- likely to pay a professional designer?

Back on-topic, I think the point of the comments here is that MacRumors is designed to be open to Apple hardware/software users of all experience levels. We all have something to give and to receive -- a dialogue that gets increasingly difficult to have in a highly segmented forum.

10. dornoforpyros thread starter macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

I'm certanly not saying iWeb is a threat in any way, I'm saying the conversations in the web forum had previosly been pros & pros in training and now it seems to be taking a step down for the hobbiest and I see this is as being a negative thing. If some one is seriose about getting in web/graphics I'm glad to help, I just don't think wading through a bunch of people seeking basic web help is the best thing for anyone.

11. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

On the flipside of the coin I would love to see a little iWeb corner here. I'm a professional in the graphics world (Creative Director) but not a web developer. I have people on my team who take care of that side of things. I've been toying a bit in iWeb (toy being the operative word) and keep combing MacRumors looking for iWeb info. It would be great if all the threads were centrally posted.

12. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

a lot more people have websites now that iweb is out. and it's a totally different crowd from the pros. so i like to have them in a different subsection. i'm a iweb user myself and i have no clue what the pros are talking about. but seeing what other "non pro's" create as websites is helpful to me. so having a "iweb/homepage and similar" section would help both sides.

my 2 cents.

13. somo macrumors newbie

somo

Yesterday I posted a thread { http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=181763 }. It's about a competition with iWeb. The interesting issue that I'm getting bored of these iWeb looking sites and I think that iWeb is capable of more free design than the default layouts. Maybe is there an option in iweb to develop some own layout and share it with others? Kind of open-source???? :rolleyes:
    And Yes I think it would help to have some sub-section under webdesign with iWeb only or iWeb related.

DON'T KILL THE WEB WITH iWEB

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm sorry but I do find this elitist, patronising and wholly unneccesary.

If the Design & Graphics forum was equally divided, then talk of Pages, Publisher, Photoshop Elements would be relegated to a sub-forum...

Same with Digital Audio. Should Garageband users be shunted off to make way for those using pro apps?

This just smacks of pure snobbery.

15. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Absolutely - I was going to make the same point myself. We don't have anywhere near as many basic Garageband questions as I thought we would over there, but the point remains - even if we did have the same level of Garageband queries as there are iWeb, I don't think it would be a good idea to segregate them off.

16. dornoforpyros thread starter macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

I once again stand by my statement, I hope apple one day makes an iApp for your profession, then we'll talk about elitism and snobbery.

I guess I've touched on some taboo subject here but the mere suggestion that pros and consumers have different support needs and separating them might be in the best interest of everybody. I hope you all enjoy your website that looks exactly like 5,000 other iWeb sites out there.

Just don't expect any feedback from me when you post the same templated garbage and ask "What do you think of my cool new site :D !!!11!"

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

They do. It's called Pages.

And you know what? If I see a Pages thread in the Design & Graphics forum, I don't click on it.

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I spend a hell of a lot of time and effort in the Design & Graphics forum helping out people of all abilities. I have nothing to offer people who are using Pages because I've never used the app myself but if it's generally about repro or other aspects of design, then I'm very generous with advice and support.

19. dornoforpyros thread starter macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

But with the release of pages would you say that 4/5 new post in the forum are devoted to pages? Would you enjoy things if it was?

And honestly I don't think the garageband/protools, iMovie/Final cut pro camparisons are valid because although people are using these apps they arean't publishing as widly as people can/do with iWeb.
    Let's face it when people have problems with iMovie they arean't posting "hey look at my video and tell me what you think" where as every iWeb post seems to be of this nature.

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It wouldn't bother me at all. If I can help, I will... those people who are using Pages this year might be using InDesign or Quark the year after.

Besides, if I want really hardcore design & print, I'll go elsewhere like prepressforums.com

I just think the principle, if logically followed through for all forums, would be result in more confusion and fracturing.

21. dornoforpyros thread starter macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Well than I guess your more patient than I am, I guess seeing a formally professional forum fall into a hobby forum is just something I'll have to live with.

22. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Sorry - but if eleventy billion iWeb sites is somehow a threat to your "profession," then perhaps you shoud reconsider your stance, as spending time in a hobbyist web creation forum might be of benefit.

If there are iWeb posts in the web forum, is that stopping professionals from posting? Nope, sure isn't.

End of thread.

Generally speaking, most folks need to start somewhere.

23. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Perhaps give it some time -iWeb is new and still exciting. I imagine the excitement will slow. And hey- as a pro - look at it as a chance to see what the beginners are doing these days. You have your finger on the pulse of all aspects of your community.... ok - I'm not buying that either. Give it some time, and (my guess is) the posts will level out between pro and beginner.

24. dornoforpyros thread starter macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

#1, I never claimed or implied that iWeb was a thread to professionals

#2, It doesn't stop it, but it certainly discourages it. Think of it as your favourite bar, if suddenly it were filled with 18 year girls taking extacy and jockish guys picking them up, would you feel as welcome?

End of thread.
    I agree everyone must start somewhere, but honestly I don't think the majority (or even 1/3rd) of iWeb users have any intention of getting into web design.

I have no problem with newbies who are activly pursuing a potential career, but I don't feel one should have to grant every iWeb user this distinction as it is clearly not the case.

25. Lau Guest

So are you saying you feel threatened by these sites that "look exactly like 5,000 other iWeb sites out there"? If your designs are original what do you have to worry about?

iWeb makes websites. As do other programs. This is a web section of the forum. And the problem is? :rolleyes:

I've seen god-awful sites hand-coded, and the same bland CSS/HTML everywhere. On, occasion I see something that stands out. Equally, I've seen a lot of the same iWeb templates since it came out, and I've seen a couple that are really interesting and original. Why not judge it on the content of the site rather than the program they used?