Perian on a clean Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vladobizik, Sep 5, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

After I upgraded from Lion to ML when it came out, Perian just continued working without any problems, making QuickTime Player (X) play pretty much whatever I threw at it.

However, I recently performed a clean reinstall of ML on both my computers and now Perian doesn't work for me at all.

I came across some articles that Perian does indeed have issues under ML, especially with clean OS installs. I read that I should install QuickTime Player 7 to make Perian work again. Does that make sense? Willl this make Perian work with QT X as well or will this work only in QT7 now? I never ever had QT7 installed on any computer before, just the default X.
    I play most files in VLC now, and I don't mind it too much, VLC is great and multiplatform, but I just prefer QT for its speed, simplicity, Mac-like-ness and hardware acceleration.

Thanks for enlightening me, I'm really confused...

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I knew that - but so far it works fine. Unless it doesn't, like in my case. :D

4. macrumors 65816

I installed it on a fresh install of ML and it works fine for me?.....

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Really? Just like that? You didn't have to install old versions of QT, it just worked for all your files? Good for you. I'll try that again, maybe I did something wrong.

6. macrumors 65816

Yeh, I didnt even realise I could have problems! Just stuck my SSD in, booted off of a ML USB and then installed Perien - no issues at all.

7. Menneisyys2, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2012

macrumors 603

Perian works fine under ML if you manually(!!!) update its AC3 module.

8. XStylus, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012

macrumors newbie

9. macrumors 603

BTW, #16 at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1478588 is a far more verbose tutorial also discussing co-existing DTS converters, deactivating the AC3 converter etc.

Note that the posts at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1481913 , starting with #4, also discuss (and quickly summarize) this tutorial.