Periodic Kernel Panics... Azureus/Java, Maybe?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Makosuke, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Makosuke macrumors 603

Oh, no, I've become one of those "I get a kernel panic once a week" people, and now I'm here looking for commiseration or suggestions.

Is anybody out there using Azureus (a Java bittorrent client) regularly with 10.3.3? I'm suspicious that it or the Java subsystem might be at fault.

Background:

G5 with all updates, disk checks, repaired permissions, running just fine, and for the most part has since I got it. Maybe twice I had to restart due to problems in twice as many months, if that.

As of 10.3.3, though, I got a rash of kernel panics right after updating. That turned out to be the fault of APC's UPS software; after I removed it and started using Apple's built-in UPS control, things settled down. I thought, until I gave it more uptime.

Now, I'm getting a kernel panic a little more than once a week, and I can't figure out what it might be. The first time, I wrote off as bad luck, but after #3 (all about evenly spaced), it qualifies as an actual problem.

I'm highly suspicious of Azureus, since that's basically the only app I've had open two of the three times it's happened--running overnight, woke up in the morning to fans on full blast. The third time (a few minutes ago) Azureus was again running in the background, and up comes a KP while I was websurfing (again, not doing much else). This didn't happen with 10.3.2, so I'm wondering if maybe 10.3.3 broke something in Java that's causing periodic panics.

Since that's the only App running, all that's left are software additions, which consist of my Canon scanner driver and Logitech mouse software (1.1.1). I would try updating to Logitec Mouseware 1.2.1, but it seems to be universally hated on Versiontracker, and several people said kernel panics it caused were fixed by going back to 1.1.1, so I'm not too anxious to try that one.

So... anybody else having an issue like this? I've tried everything obvious, I'm not seeing anything useful in the Logfiles, and I'm loathe to try reinstalling. Maybe I'll just restart every three or four days, and the problem will go away...

2. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Many BT clients on the PC side are loaded with spyware or worse, viruses. Be careful. (the main reason i do NOT use Bit-Torrent anymore).

3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Well, Azureus runs fine for me, but I have another Java-based application which I’m sure causes kernel panics almost every hour, so it could very well be Java which causes this.

4. gerror macrumors 6502

I start using Azueus 2 or 3 weeks ago and I had 1 Kernal Panic last weekend. I suspect my FW drive, so I have no probles with Azureus.

5. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

i have used azureus for a substantial time now..never caused any trouble..may be you can download the latest version,2.0.8.4 and see if that works alright...
    cheers

6. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

Where was the program counter when the panic occured? Check the panic.log in /Library/Logs

The last kernel panic that I had was in Oct 2003, and it was the fault of the KeyspanUSA Serial Driver kext. Prior to that, most of the kernel panics I got were the fault of Logitech's kexts.

7. Makosuke thread starter macrumors 603

I see nothing about a program counter in my panic log, although I'm not used to decoding those. I already poked through the rest of my logs, but never saw anything suspect (in fact, nothing at all anywhere near the panics). Anywhere I can find an easy tutorial on what the hex in the Panic log means?

As for Azureus, I'm already using 2.0.8.4, and have been since the day it was released. Obviously BT spyware is a danger, but being that Azureus is an opensource project on Sourceforge, and is claiming 4 million downloads, I'm hoping that if there was something untoward in it, someone with more time and interest than I already would've noticed it and made some noise, but I've heard nothing and found nothing in searches.

8. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

The program counter is a long hex number labeled PC.

9. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

you could also get GeekTool so that you can see the panic.log and maybe other logs on your Desktop as soon as the problem happens.

10. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

The panic log is kept in NVRAM at the time of the panic, and isn't written out to the disk until you reboot the machine.

11. Makosuke thread starter macrumors 603

Well, now that's just all kinds of interesting. Unfortunately, I'm not comfortable enough with Apple's dev tools that I could figure out how to match that hex to something meaningful on a light read through Apple's instructions on kernel debugging. I don't suppose you or anybody else knows of a step-by-step tutorial on how to extract useful information out of a panic log?

(Hey, if nothing else, I feel educated now that I've read up a bit on what the info in a panic log means, and how such a small bit of info can help track down the cause of the problem.)

12. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

yah..infact if you run fsck after kernel panic...and then reboot..its all gone.. :( ..not even save to panic.log