periodic maintenance and privileges

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by damson34, Dec 1, 2003.

1. damson34 macrumors 6502

Ive noticed when i run the sudo periodic... command from terminal it messes up some of my privileges, mainly private.log. Is this happeneing to anyone else? I know its not a big deal but would still like to know. Thanx!

Derek

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

It isn't happening to me and I run my daily and weekly scripts quite often. Did you check permissions right before and right after doing the scripts?

3. damson34 thread starter macrumors 6502

i forgot to mention i was running panther, i didnt know if you were too. Yes I did check both before and after and it happens right after i run the maintainance scripts.

4. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I tried doing the daily and then the weekly scripts, but after checking permissions it comes back as being clear and all verified correctly. I am not too sure about what is going on behind the scenes in Unix when you run the scripts, but there must be a program you have that does something that when you reset everything with the scripts causes something to be fudged.

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

6. damson34 thread starter macrumors 6502

well i just did a clean install and i installed just the updates and repaired permissions. Then did the commands and repaird again and same thing.

I did each command and then repaired and found out that it is the monthly command that is causing the trouble. Here is the privileges that is messes up.

Repairing permissions for “iBook HD”
    Determining correct file permissions.
    Permissions differ on ./private/var/log/install.log, should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rw-r-----
    Owner and group corrected on ./private/var/log/install.log
    Permissions corrected on ./private/var/log/install.log
    Permissions differ on ./private/var/log/wtmp, should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rw-r-----
    Owner and group corrected on ./private/var/log/wtmp
    Permissions corrected on ./private/var/log/wtmp
    The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

Permissions repair complete

7. damson34 thread starter macrumors 6502