Periods

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mad jew, Mar 11, 2007.

1. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, so if you have heavy and painful periods, is there something that can make you feel better that's not necessarily a pharmaceutical? I've heard peppermint tea is supposed to help the cramps and pain during the red rain season, but is there something else? My housemate is getting really bad periods and I want to help her. Any tips? :)

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I'm not sure what's helpful in terms of pain relief, but I do know that it's a really good idea to get plenty of iron either with a dietary supplement or eating lots of things high in iron (red meat, spinach etc). There's a chance of mild anemia otherwise from the blood loss.

3. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ahh, interesting. I always thought that was just an old wives' tale, but thanks for that. :)

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Too rich of a diet (dairy, sweets, etc.) leading up to my period always makes for a heavier and more painful period (sort of makes sense if you think about it :eek:).

Dunno if they have 'em 'round there but have found these to be immensely helpful. Or some other such form of heat-- on the lower abdomen region and on the lower back. Sigh. Or or, a willing and kind person who will gimme a lower back rub. Honestly, they say an orgasm really helps w/ cramps. Never tried it myself though.
    I'll take a general painkiller (like Aleve).

5. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ahh, okay. Dunno about the heat thing at the moment since it's so bloody hot here anyway. I'll tell her about the 'happy jab' thing too, she'll like that. :p

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Ugh. If she's having bad cramps, tell her to resist the urge to drink icy drinks anyway-- cold stuffs really do aggravate the cramps. :(

7. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I find doing some light exercise helpful. I know its probably the last thing you want to do with a period but I find it helps

8. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Maybe you should be quoting something more like this in your sig rather than Confucius? :rolleyes: ;)

It's a fact of life, I think calling it gross is silly.

9. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

10. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Not a bad idea tho.

11. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

12. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

On a tangent, I saw an article the other day in New Scientist about placentas and eating them for nutritional purposes after giving birth. They also said there were lasagna recipes just for that purpose...

ANYWAY...

I forgot to mention earlier that my sister sometimes takes a magnesium supplement thingy which apparently relieves some of the achiness.

13. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Gross.

14. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Granted, the Vegemite shake would take some getting used to. Interesting what you said about magnesium, max_altitude, considering zinc is meant to help too.

15. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

MJ, I want to hear more about your house mate. What do you do to her? :D

16. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Viccles, right on. Most women avoid that at all costs, but it really does help.

I find that lots of fruit helps.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

And a bar or two of Green & Black's Almond Milk Chocolate, apparently.

18. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Avoid salt and alcohol.

Good Things:
    Dark Chocolate
    bananas
    Chamomile/peppermint tea
    Rosehip tea

Preventatives:
    Omega 3-6-9 oil supplement
    Creatine powder for two weeks before

Robaxect or similar backpain medication relaxes the muscles that cause the cramps in first place but tend to prolong period by a couple of days.

Direct heat and gentle rubbing makes it better too.
    Foot rubs feel good too.

19. iGav macrumors G3

20. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

That would be my suggestion, too. While I naturally can't offer any advice from a first-hand perspective, one of my old housemates always felt the benefit of a hot water bottle on her belly. Of course, that's just helping soothe the symptoms and probably isn't doing that much to help the cause of the pains, but it might help make things a bit more bearable for her, MJ.

21. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I agree. Seriously. (It surprisingly does help, just most women don't want anything down there during their period so they never figure this out)

22. iGav macrumors G3

Indeed, the orgasm causes contractions of the uterus, which helps it shed it's lining, whilst the orgasm itself helps negate the pain, because... (and I can't say I've ever tried inflicting pain on myself at the exact moment because I'm to busy with ther things) but you can't feel pain when you have an orgasm. Apparently.

Now, why is it that I'm imagining everyone pinching themselves to see if that's true next time they get some or indulge in some self-loving? Weheh.

23. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Possibly because it's messier than usual and because when you're feeling sore and bloated, you're more likely to feel irritated than horny.

Exercise does work but has to be low-impact since if your breasts are tender, you don't want to be bouncing all over the place.

Another, much easier, suggestion is to drink raspberry leaf tea. It helps with feminine cramps.

24. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

Wow, if I had not read the last line of this first post, I would have thought mad jew was having a heavy period ;).