Permanently delete songs in iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by BigFlorida, Jul 26, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

When I delete a song in my iTunes library it just seems to take them off the list and NOT from actual folder they exist in. Is there anyway to permanently delete unwanted songs from the entire systems from within iTunes?

Thanks in advance for any advice. -- A needy user.

2. macrumors newbie

i know you can right-click (control-click) and select delete, and it will ask you if you want to delete it permenently

3. macrumors member

Select the song from the complete Music Library, and not from a Playlist. Then the Delete key will remove it permenantly from the library. If you try to delete a song selected from a playlist then it only deletes it from the playlist, but keeps it in the library.

4. macrumors 6502a

When you delete a song this should pop up:

[​IMG]

Clicking "Keep File" will remove it from iTunes but keeps the file on your computer. Clicking "Move to Trash" will remove it from iTunes and put the song in the trash.

5. macrumors 6502a

There is an exception to the above posts, and that is if you have your iTunes library on an external drive and have mounted it after iTunes has started, then it reverts to the default location in your Home folder. In that case it won't remove the file itself, but merely remove it from the index. Quit iTunes and start it again with the volume mounted to get the correct location.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input. I think jacker in hit the core of my issue. Thanks for the help.