Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Hey Guys-

I like to keep my music organized. I frequently take in/out music of my library. How can i change the name of an artist permentantly in itunes.

Example: Lets say the song is "Tupac - Changes" and it appears as "Tupac - changes.mp3" wherever it is stored. Than when i drag the song into itunes it majically becomes Tupac72jsh-changesmofo, so i correct the information in itunes by chaning artist name and song name to the proper terms. But that if i click on tupac changes, delete it (remove it from the itunes library), than i drag the file back into itunes later, it resorts back to Tupac72jsh-changesmofo. How do i make it so whenever i drag the song into itunes.. it will remain Tupac and Changes?

-Confuse apple switcher. lol

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Do you just keep going back to the original file? Or do you copy the file back out of the iTunes library?

You're updating the file in the iTunes library and if you delete it, you lose your changes.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, iTunes doesn't change the ID3 tags unless you ask it to. This is done through the Advanced menu. :)

ID3 tags are what MP3s use to secretly store their information such as song and artist names but it is not related to the actual file name which is usually also named with artist and track names.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
mad jew said:
Yeah, iTunes doesn't change the ID3 tags unless you ask it to. This is done through the Advanced menu. :)
That option doesn't change the information in the ID3 tags, it converts them between ID3 formats.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Bear said:
That option doesn't change the information in the ID3 tags, it converts them between ID3 formats.

Really? I always thought it did both, as in it converted them and updated them but maybe not. Okay then, thanks for that. :)

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Bear said:

Oh so i have to keep all my music in the little itunes folder? If i keep it outside the folder it won't save changes? How do i make it so that i can change the artist name and all for whatever player i want. Like if i want to change the name so that in mplayer it shows up as Artist: Tupac, Song: Changes or if i drag it in itunes it shows up as Artist:Tupac, Song: Changes?

ToastyX

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2005
When you drag a file into iTunes, you're making a copy of the file. When you make changes, you're modifying the copy. After you make changes, drag the song out of iTunes to make a copy of the modified copy. When you remove a song from iTunes, you're deleting the original modified copy.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
I see what your saying. So once i edit it in itunes, than grab that copy and replace it from the original rite? Second quandry that i'm having is than, isn't this a waste of space? I have like 5-8 gigs of music, if i drag it all into itunes.. instead me jus having 8 gigs of music, now i used up an aditional 8, so in total have used 16 gigs, when i coulda just used 8 gigs! :confused:

Am i better of just dragging all my music into that itunes music folder.. cuz it seems like a big waste of music to have 2 copies of songs.. :confused:

ToastyX said:
When you drag a file into iTunes, you're making a copy of the file. When you make changes, you're modifying the copy. After you make changes, drag the song out of iTunes to make a copy of the modified copy. When you remove a song from iTunes, you're deleting the original modified copy.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Wow- Guys plz tell me there is easier way..

See i want to organize my music and correct my file names, but i want the file name to be correct as in (artist - Track name) format, and when i import it into itunes i want the names to be corect. I have alota old music from napster days, and cds from friends which i never bothered correctly and all..

So far this is the only way i kno how to do it.. Import all my music to itunes, correct artist,track,etc.. than drag that file into a new file which shows up as 01changes and than rename that file to tupac-changes. Please tell me there is a easier way, or else this is gonna take days and days..lol :(

-If som1 could stil answer my other questions about is there anyway just to have one copy of that music? Like can i drag my folder say it called.. Rap into itunes folder.. i think it is a huge waste of space to have a copy of the song and the original somewhere else..

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
There's an option in Preferences in the Advanced tab to set it to copy to iTunes folder, and to keep them Organized. Either disable those, and leave your music where you want it to be, or leave them enabled and delete the orginals. If you leave those enabled, then when you delete them from iTunes, choose the option to keep the files instead of sending them to the Trash when it asks you. Then you just drag them back into iTunes. You can set the default folder to somewhere else in the same tab.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.