Permission Repairs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by untamedhysteria, Aug 15, 2005.

1. untamedhysteria macrumors regular

Jul 31, 2005
    I've been wondering why we keep having to repair permissions in OSX? Why do they keep messing up? I didn't seem to have permission errors in FreeBSD before I came to the Mac World..

This also isn't intended to start a flame...just curiosity. It's been bothering me for a while and hopefully someone advanced in this subject can shed some light so I can understand it more.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Because installers that require admin passwords often have permissions changes associated with themselves that allow them to fully install their pieces/parts. This includes OS updates/patches. The only REAL times you should Repair Permissions is after anything installed that requires an admin password, any other times you're fooling yourself and/or fiddling with permissions you shouldn't be fiddling with.

Some other things to note:

Permissions repair does NOT decend into your home directory, so if you have permissions problems within ~, you need to fix them yourself.

The "proper" permissons are stored in BOMs (Bill of Materials files) within /Library/Receipts/. When you Repair Permissions, the BOM is compared with the actual permissions, and changes are made if there are differences.

Hope this helps.