Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bgd, Aug 30, 2005.

1. bgd macrumors regular

Aug 30, 2005
    Hi Folks,

Purchased my first Mac on the weekend, a mini, to run a Slim server. It does this very well and the whole set up process was remarkably straight forward. Which is what I had expected having lurked here for a while.

However have one minor issue. I'm trying to copy 2 files (LAME & Firefox) from a windows (XP) machine to the mini. I get an error message something along the lines of not having permission for all the items. I have read/write permissions on the target & source directories plus the files and it is only these files that are effected, i.e. I can quite happily copy other files from the same source to the destination. The files concerned are mac (dmg?) files downloaded off the net.

Not a major issue but if someone could give me an idea of where to look I can start my OS X education.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I never had that problem. Normally you'd be able to mount the .dmg file (a disk image, which works like a virtual disk) and copy over the files it contains, but since you're on windows computer, that's not going to work. I suppose you could always burn them onto a CD and copy them that way.
  3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    You could always try a "sudo cp" command in terminal if its giving you problems.