Permissions repair issues

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mattraehl, Mar 25, 2005.

1. mattraehl macrumors 6502

This what I get when I repair permissions (even if i run it twice in a row):

Repairing permissions for “iBook Backup”
    Determining correct file permissions.
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays. New permissions are 16893
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/ColorSync/Profiles. New permissions are 16893
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261
    We are using a special uid for the file or directory ./private/var/at/jobs. New uid is 1
    We are using a special uid for the file or directory ./private/var/at/spool. New uid is 1
    The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

Permissions repair complete

What is the deal with "using special..." It makes it sound like it is fixing the same thing every time I repair permissions. Or, am I reading it wrong, and is that just an informative message it is giving every time I perform a permissions repair? Any ideas?

2. Bear macrumors G3

It's just noting special permissions. I believe there would be additional messages if the permissions actually had to be fixed.

All the ones listed are ones that have been changed by security updates.

3. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

repair permission fixes colorsync

When I ran the repair permission for my 15" PBs, it fixes the same ColorSync things. I don't know why it does fix every time I run the repair permission. My new 12" PB does not show any fixing when I ran the repair permission. Does anyone know why the repair permission is fixing that colorsync? I think my PBs' repair permission started doing that after installing Quicksilver freeware. I did not download that to my 12" PB.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Does your 12" PB have the latest security update installed? If not, this is probably the difference as the colorsync permissions change was introduced in a recent update.

5. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I think all of my PBs are patched with the security updates. My 15" PBs are running 10.3.8. My 12" PB is running 10.3.7. Is fixing Colorsync thing good when you run a repair permission? The repair permission fixes the same Colorsync thing everytime you run it, though (even after I ran the repair permission).

6. Bear macrumors G3

Actually it doesn't necessarily mean it's repairing them, it means it's using special permissions.

Anyway, the different OS X version is probably the reaosn for the differences.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Both of the permissions you noted are known issues, especially the 33261.

I'll see if i can dig up an Apple doc.

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I would like to see a change in the permissions repair utility that redirects these messages to a log viewable in the Console and avoids unnecessarily duplicating them in the logs on subsequent permission repairs. This would neatly sidestep this issue while still providing the information for the curious and not wasting disk space with superfluous log entries.

10. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I am wondering how about "New permissions are 16893" for colorsync? I know the other permission repair (the one starting with 3) is normal. But, I am curious to know what the repair permission is fixing Colorsync by assigning new permission 16893 each time.