Permissions Repair On What Disk?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Patrick Bateman, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Patrick Bateman macrumors member

Hopefully this is a simple question. What disk do I select to repair permissions on when doing regular maintenance? There is the Hitachi one and then the one below it, the Macintosh HD one. Is there even a difference? Thanks for any help.

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Repairing permissions is only possible on the partition/drive where OS X is installed. You shouldn't even have the option on another drive.

3. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

I think what he means is that the first one is the whole disk, and the other is the partition (which may take up the whole disk), which is indented.

In this case, there is no difference. If the drive has multiple partitions, then repairing permissions on the hard disk repairs permissions for all partitions, instead of just one if you repair permissions on the partition.

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Actually, it will only work on the partition/volume itself. Selecting the whole drive won't work.

5. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

It works for me. :confused:

6. Patrick Bateman thread starter macrumors member

Seems to work for me too. I have gotten repairs on both of them but never one after another so I don't know if both need to be repaired or not.

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

OK, I've got 2 partitions on my drive. 1 OS X, 1 documents.

If I select the top-level of the drive, I have no repair options. Only if I select the OS X partition do those buttons become available.

Maybe if you don't have your system drive partitioned, you can repair from the top-level.

8. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

I have two partitions, but both of them have systems on them. So I'm guessing that you can only repair from the top level if every partition has a system on it.