Permissions runaround in file sharing... help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NewSc2, Jan 31, 2007.

1. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

I'm having a hard time moving files from my Macbook to my Macbook Pro.

It's similar to this guy's scenario: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=267590

I've enabled permissions for everybody, read and write, and I'm the admin of both computers. I've even created a separate account on the Macbook to log in with my MBP (with the same name as my MBP's computer).

I've also tried dropping my files into the Public Folder, and no go. These are just documents, movies, pictures, music files I'd been working on, etc.

I can transfer most files, but it seems that some subfolders are still locked. I don't have the patience to go through every music project's subfolders to find out which one... there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of subfolders.

Help? Is there any way to force permission?

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

From the terminal use "chmod".

You can read about how to use chmod if you type "man chmod" you get the manual page.
    But basically the -R (dash capital R) switch says to go through the directories recursively.

I thought there was some way to apply a change recursively using the GUI too?

If you just want to transfer the files make a big zip or tar file and transfer that, unzip/untar on the other machine.