Permissions...we don't need no stinking permissions!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macdon401, Aug 17, 2005.

1. macdon401 macrumors 6502

macdon401

Hi all, just bumped up OSX with the latest Update and as always I check the permissions out of habit, all seems well, except Safari seems to be slow to load the home page...but that may be my imagination, don"t know!
    Well, not just the last check gut all of my checks give me this message, seems nothing is "fixed' as it appears everytime I do a check...anyone jnow whats going on?

Determining correct file permissions.
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets. New permissions are 16877
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/acinclude.m4. New permissions are 33060

Permissions verification complete
    The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

I am running a G5 iMac, 20" , 1.8, OSX 10.4.2, 768 M RAM, 160 G HD

Thanks again!
    R

2. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Are you just verifying them, not repairing them?

3. macdon401 thread starter macrumors 6502

macdon401

4. belvdr macrumors 601

My mac has done this ever since I had it. I figure something else is changing the perms.

5. supergod macrumors 6502

I have the exact same problem on my computer. I recently reinstalled Tiger and everything has been going fine. I'm not particularly worried about it.

6. cbiffle macrumors member

I don't remember precisely, but the "We are using special permissions" messages note exceptions to the overall permissions rules, and *may* appear every time.

Moreover, though, permissions won't cause Safari to run slowly. A lot of folks recommend repairing permissions if performance flags...repairing them is prudent, certainly, but it ain't gonna help. :)

(Speaking as an old Unix wonk here.)

7. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Sorry I didn't post earlier....

this has happened for a while with os x.

It used to be colorsync stuff.

Don't worry, it isn't a problem.

8. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

This isn't a problem, and you'll see it each time you repair your permissions. Note that those permissions aren't being changed when you repair your permissions, you're simply getting a notification that the permissions are specially configured in certain cases.

9. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Ya know I always laugh at the computer when it says "We are using special permissions...." Because, you have to wonder, who's "we?" :D

10. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

To err is human. To Repair is to Verify. It may be easier to get forgiveness than Permissions. :cool:
    X

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

entirely normal. next system update, watch and see what we're Now Using Special Permissions For then :)