permissions?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Trout74, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Trout74 macrumors 6502

what does it mean to " repair permissions"

and how specifically do you do it? Do I need to download some program?
    where and is it free?

thanks in advance

oh, also how to I stresstest or whatever its called, my RAM.

Trout

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Repairing permissions is done from Disk Utility (in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder). Click your Mac OS X hard drive, then click the Repair Permissions button.

To test your RAM, boot your Mac from the Apple Hardware Test CD that came with it and follow the instructions once it loads.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

When disk utility "repairs" your permissions, what it's doing is comparing the permissions specified in the BOM (Bill of Materials) archive of entries in /Library/Receipts/, with those on your file hierarchy. If there is any difference, then the permissions are "repaired" (basically, changed to match those of the BOM).

You really only need to do this after you install things that require an admin password, because that's the only way permissions can* get changed in the first place.

*: technically, there could be a script/app/binary that is run as root that could change permissions, but this would be a HUGE security hole, and nothing on your Mac should be doing that.

A better (it does more in-depth testing) program to use is called memtest.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

repairing permissions can usually help fix common problems on your mac, for some other related info check out this Thread