Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
So heres the short of the deal. Today I decided I wanted to use an mini ipod for running. I searched all over this damn city (Houston) I was determined to not have to order a mini and wait 2-4 weeks, but walk out of somplace with my own before 9pm tonight.

I first called the Apple Store in Houston. They didn't have any as I had assumed. I asked the rep if he knew who might. He said Comp USA, Circuit City etc. So I called Comp USA and C. City and they were empty as well. I looked online at Best Buy's website and they were sold out online, but it said the stores nearby had some. So I called and all they had were 8 Silver Mini's left. Since I have always wanted either a green or silver, I took the bait and went for the silver. I also wanted to get the running band, but best buy was out. So I headed over to the Apple Store in the Galleria, less than a mile away. I grabbed the armband and as I was checking out the guy was like, oh you have a mini, thats cool, because we have been sold out for so long but we just got a shipment in. I was like do you have green and he was like ya im pretty sure let me go check. Sure enough, he comes out with the green. So I bought it. I now have a green and silver mini ipod sitting on both sides of me beckoning to be unraveled, but I can decide which one I want. Its been 3 hours now and I still cant determine which one is the one I want. I need advice and perspectives regarding the choice in color.

Kindly-

Will

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
Eh.. I am troubled.. Does this mean that the shortage of iPod mini is because people cant make up their mind and buy all colors hoping to bring back the unopened box when they finaly decide? :confused:

Seriously, go for green, every single iPod mini I have seen so far was silver. Be original...

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
Well I have a silver and its vary nice, goes will with a Albook. I would do some sort of childish game to randomly pick one. Although I believe I read that the silver iPod mini does better in sunlight then the rest because it has no pigment.

Of course you could always give one to me...

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
I keep lingering between the two. I know I just need to make a decision, but I have to agree about being original, I dont want to have something the majority goes for. However, no matter what, I am going to give the second one to my best friend who is a navy seal that will be going to iraq pretty soon. i thought i could load it for him with pretty kick ass songs that are inspiring and encouraging- anyhow, im stumped otherwise. i guess the question now is what are some good ideas of games that i could do to use to figure which one im going with?

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
Ah good idea giving to your solider friend instant respect here...

Well lets see would say do something simple like Ini miini miini mo

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
any old company can make a silver mp3 player (sony, rio, etc) but it takes apple to make a green mp3 player :p i'd go with the green (tho if i bought a mini it'd be pink :D

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
the only reason i'd go with silver is 'cos it'd look so good next to my powerbook!!

other than that i think green...

wish i had enough money to give ipod mini's away!!

hob (poor student)

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Even though most people would tell you to go for the green, because it's different, I would have to disagree. The silver goes best with all of the accessories. I don't know what computer you have, but it it's a G5 or a PB, the silver would look PIMP next to them. Even if you have a consumer machine, the silver looks good. I regret getting a blue mini, because it looks out of place on my desk. To each his own, though.

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
ive wondered about getting sick of the color. i have a powerbook and also considered how truly pimp the silver mini would look next to it. i also like the silver because its slick and since ill be using it more for running the color silver would make more sense. now 6 hours later, both still unopened and me with a red forehead.

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
So after 8 hours of deliberation last night. I finally did it - I went with the green. It was too close of a call to pick one of the two so I turned off all the lights, mixed the two boxes up and chose. Green was what I got and Green is now what I am using. Plus, as I recall, something good always came from the green M&M's :D

Thanks for all your insight and perspectives-

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
Since your friend is in the army, I think you should give him the green... The last thing you want is for him to get shot because a soldier saw the reflexion of his iPod. On the other hand, I dont think there is much foliage to hide behind in Irak! :confused: :p

Good luck to your friend. I hope that he never have to shoot at anything!

supergod

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
For sure the Green. It just looks like the best colour of the minis (not as metallic looking as the others). When it comes to minis it's less about matching them to your computer than it is matching it to your clothes.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
I see you went for the gree, and glad you did! i know silver is cool, but i just see too much of it, silver PB, silver PM silver displays not to mention one of the most popular color of cars is silver. . . i have had my fill of silver with my 12"PB. . . too much more would be an overkill so im glad you went with the green.

i would not mind taking the silver one off of your hands though. . . i would even pay to ship it here if you gave it to me free!

enjoy your green iPod!

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
Green! The green one is more individual and unique. I think that silver is most popular 2 of my friends have silver cos it matches their powerbook. The coloured minis are beautiful, seriously desirable. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.