persistent server connections under jaguar and related: shared printer over network.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shmengie, Sep 14, 2004.

1. shmengie macrumors newbie

howdy! fairly new to the mac thing. my neighbor just gave me his dv400, slot-loading iMac running jaguar. i have 2 (mostly) related questions...

1) i have a w2k3 server with a shared volume that i can map, but the mapping goes away after reboot/shutdown. how can i make this mapped drive persistent?

2) due to physical constraints, my usb printer is connected to my wxp pc. i have this printer shared out. on the imac, i have downloaded and installed the software for said printer (canon i320). how should i make this connection? via ip? can i even connect to this printer at all? my choices are rendezvous, ip, etc.

tia for any help/advice.

btw, the wxp pc, the w2k3 server and the imac are all connected via a wired router.

2. shmengie thread starter macrumors newbie

wtf? is my title not sexy enough to even warrant reading? how about...

LIVE...NAKED NUDENESS!!! GIRLS, GIRLS GIRLS!!!

should i have made that the title?

3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

check apple's support site. I'm pretty sure they have a document explainging how to do this. I don't remember for sure, but I don't think it's IP printing when connected to another computer. Only when you have a print server.

4. shmengie thread starter macrumors newbie

thx, lbm. i haven't exactly found it yet, but i'm getting search results that are close.

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

6. shmengie thread starter macrumors newbie

well, this sure looks like it, but, 2 things...

1) printer & fax isn't showing up in syspref's. i can only figure out how to get there via 'help' and clicking on an 'open for me' link.

2) once i have print center open, i click on add. then from the drop-down, my only choices are appletalk, directory services, ip printer, rendezvous and usb. (i don't have a 'top pop-up menu' like it says in step 3. i assume they mean the drop-down, right?)

in case i wasn't clear before, this is jaguar, 10.2.8, if that makes a difference. either way, print & fax should be in the syspref pane, yes?

again, thx for your help.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That's why - Print & Fax is a Panther-specific System Preferences item. I think the Windows Printing option, which is what you would use, may also be Panther-specific.