Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
For some yet unknown reason today (or in the last few days) Personal File Sharing will not start up. In the sharing preference panel is says that it is starting up, but never completes the process. In a related problem the Powermac MDD can no longer see my Powerbook, that does have file sharing enabled.

I have done some of the obvious such as resetting the PRAM and repairing permissions. Anyone seen this before. The only thing that I can think of that has changed is the last security update that only got applied yesterday.

Anyone got any further ideas?

James_C

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Actually, the MDD Powermac can see the Powerbook, it appears in the Finder as an Icon, but as soon as you click on it, it says the Alias "Powerbook" could not be opened, because the original item could not be found.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
It's working for me, with the latest security updates. But the AFP server did get updated; so it's possible that was the cause. Have you tried monitoring the system log (/var/log/system.log) while you attempt to start file sharing?

James_C

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Thanks for the reply, after future investigation, following running the disk utility it looks like I have a catalog corruption on the primary HD. The disk utility could not fix it, so oh joy of joys I am spending the evening wiping the hard disk and reinstalling all the software. :( :( :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.