Personal LaserWriter 300 and what to do

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by CMD is me, Dec 21, 2006.

1. CMD is me macrumors 6502

I have an Apple Personal LaserWriter 300 with 2 unopened Apple cartridges. Its the coolest little laser printer. 6 years ago I replaced my LCII with a G3, then replaced with G4. Thus I lost my connection to the PL300. I've had everything sitting in a box for the 6 years because it doesn't support eithernet or USB. 6 years and I want the closet space back.

1) is it safe to offer to sell it after sitting in a box for 6 years -- I have no way to test it, but it ran flawlessly the couple years I used it. Is there any reason to think it wouldn't work now? It looks like the toner is worth about $70-100 and the print about the same, however I wouldn't feel right not disclosing it hasn't been used in 6 yrs and don't want someone to claim it doesn't work (which maybe it doesn't), then have to pay THEM.

2) Is eBay the best option if I wanted to sell it? I hate posting items only to have them not sell -- its not so much the cost, but the time spent creating an ad, answering questions, monitoring the ad etc. I'm a dad and don't have enough free time as it is!

3) I haven't found a church or organization who needs one (and its a shame to trash such a nice printer -- I paid about $600 + $200 for the toner!). Should I just give it to Good Will and write it off? -- again seems a same to go that route.

Thanks for your help

2. FullmetalZ26 macrumors regular

If the toner cartridges are six years old, chances are they're no good anymore. The cartridges can at least be rebuilt and refilled though, so they'd have some value to someone interested in a printer of that vintage. I'm reasonably sure it'd be worth at least $40 or so to someone out there, perhaps more if it's in like new condition. But seeing as brand new laser printers with faster print engines and more recent interface options can be had for around $100, you probably wouldn't be able to fetch much more than that for it.

3. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking less than $100. I saw one go on eBay for $50 and tones for the same. Anything less than $40-50 really isn't worth while to package it up, drive to FedEx and risk it not working for someone else. Like I said, it seems a shame to give it to Goodwill. How many Goodwill shoppers are looking for an ADB port printer? I guess I could at least get a small deduction and free up the closet space.