Personal project

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Tony0693, Apr 25, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, thanks for reading this post!

I am a student and I want to put together a website for my fellow university students.

It needs to have a facebook log in, minimalist look (think microsoft flat tile-like buttons on the xbox/phones) and easy to use feel. It needs to have a search bar that will search through a list of content that I will provide. It also needs to have a user "command centre / profile management".

I am giving myself 4 months to complete this website as i am planning to launch it beginning of september.

I know the very basics of HTML/CSS. I also have quite a lot of programming experience in C (if that applies). The problem is that I've never actually built a website. I've only coded programs that ran in the command line / Terminal window.

I am able to pick up new languages fairly quickly but I just don't quite know where to begin.

Suppose that i can get access to any software on Mac OSX or Windows.
    Which one do you recommend ?

Photoshop/Dreamweaver?

Thanks in advance!

2. macrumors 603

Tomorrow

Is this really a need? If so, why?

You most likely will need to incorporate some sort of database functionality. PHP and MySQL are a popular combination for this.

If you're going for a minimalist approach, Photoshop isn't going to be the answer. Dreamweaver gets knocked around quite a bit, but I've used it with success.

3. macrumors 6502

Why not start with a CMS? Wordpress/Joomla/Drupal -- i believe there's a plugin for each of those that allow using facebook credentials to log in.

4. macrumors 65816

Your welcome! We like reading and answering.

Okay, gotcha, outstanding.

Check, check, check and check

Wow! A pro could finish this in 10 minutes. You... an hour?

HTML5 - for the site structure
    CSS3 - for the look and feel of the site
    PHP - for the backend processing, database, current user, the cool stuff
    Javascript ( or jQuery for an easier intro ) - to make the site do all sorts of cool stuff on the web user side (client)

You need MAMP for Mac, WAMP for windows to build a test server on your local computer. Google and read up on how to set it up.

For the CMS I'd recommend Wordpress.org. Just download and install into a folder under MAMP or WAMP. Run the install, search for minimalistic themes, search comes prebuilt, do a search for social icon plugins if your theme doesn't include them.

For textediting the site, you could use the clunky but useful editor inside Wordpress ( not recommended but it's in there ).
    Here's a partial list of editors: Coda2, Sublime Text 2, Text Wrangler, Notepad++, Dreamweaver ( I don't really like this one, but it works ), Netbeans, Bluefish,

There are so many, you'll just have to find the one you like. I've listed some for windows, linux, MacOS X

Good luck

PS Oh yeah, in the end if you want this hosted to the world you will need a web host. Do a quick google search for the best web hosts for 2013 and see what pops up. I've used justhost (awesome and free backups), hostgator ( awesome as well, haven't used it this year ), go daddy ( hate it, hate it, hate it ).

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Logging in with facebook is way more popular with college students than signing up with email :p

----------

There is a lot of features i want to add :) But I'm giving myself 4 months because of the data entry I'll need to do. I was planning on hosting it on hostgator, seems like the most popular choice. I will check justhost !

Thank you very much for the useful reply! :D

6. macrumors 6502

I would try to utilize a cms such as joomla or wordpress for this project.

7. fig
    macrumors 6502a

I think the question was more intended as "why is a log in required for the site?"

Good answers all around though, 960 had some good info for you in particular.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

The students need to have access to their own user page. Think a bit like subscriptions for youtube .. :)

9. macrumors 603

Tomorrow

Youtube probably isn't the best example, since it's tied to a Google/gmail account. Tons of websites don't use your email address for a login.

10. macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

I'm with then others suggesting an open source CMS as a starting point to build out your site, especially considering your experience as outlined in your original posting here. It's a no brainer, in fact.

http://www.opensourcecms.com

11. macrumors 65816

chaos86

Wordpress is not a full CMS, it's a blogging engine that too many programmers pretend is a full CMS, and beat up until it sort of acts like one.

12. macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Tripe. Add Advanced Custom Fields into the mix and its good to go for almost anything.