Personal Sites?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jlewis2k1, Sep 5, 2005.

1. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

I have been curious how many of you actually have and MAINTAIN erm I should say keep-up their personal site? For those who are interested ... or curious heres my site. Now, it would have been all php enabled but I dont wanna pay money for it.

http://members.cox.net/jeff.lewis

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

www.clayj.com

Mine has two versions... Flash 5.0 and HTML. Soon I will be updating the Flash site to Flash 8.0, so hopefully it will run more quickly.

3. jlewis2k1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

and whats special about Flash 8?? Wouldnt that be the first version since the merger?

4. jlewis2k1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

FYI: Your site asks me to save the main.swf file. I dont think it susposed to be doing that.

5. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I used to have a website but I kind of gave up on it and started up a BBS instead. Yes you heard me correct. A crusty old ansi text based BBS. :)

6. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

After writing all those help pages for Microsoft, I can see why you wanted to get a Mac... :rolleyes:

7. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

That's just too cool.

Sure is a long time ago since I used one of those...

8. RacerX macrumors 65832

Well, my site (here) has been up since 2000. It has two major sections (sub-sites) on Rhapsody (here) and NeXT (here). I'll most likely be spinning off the Rhapsody section into it's own site (at rhapsodyos.org) in the near future.

As for keeping the site up, I try to add content on a regular basis. But it all depends on what I feel like working on at the time (I maintain 6 other sites as part of my business, so sometimes adding to my site seems more like work than a hobby).

9. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I've had a personal website for many years. It's always being changed, but never really being maintaned. I did recently add a blog and redesigned everything to match the blog... but I'll probably change it before too long. I think I get more enjoyment out of making the web page than having a web page. Which is also why I don't tell anyone about my web page (well, I have made one friend look at it, and he wasn't very impressed).

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

First I've ever heard of it doing that. What browser are you using?

A lot of those articles are for Macintosh Excel and Office. ;)

11. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

whoa nelly f-bomb warning :p

12. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

you can check my site here

you need to be a member to view so you wont get the full effect.... sorry :)

13. 40167 macrumors regular

Got mine in the signature, should be updating it like weekly with new stuff now that I got a reliable computer to work with again. Went for a few months without updating before. Hopefully I can get my little iMac running the public VNC account again, that was pretty fun to just have random people screwing around with the system; since people would walk in and look at the screen and see it just doing stuff with no one physically infront of the machine. It ended up being dubbed the "Ghost Box".

14. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Currently undergoing some MAJOR housekeeping. Excuse the mess. :p

www.myelixr.com

15. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I built and maintain my personal site at http://andybloxham.com It's somewhat of a portfolio site that breaks my hobbies down to writing, video, design, and photography. But of course it also has a blog on it, though I haven't written anything non-hurricane related in awhile.

16. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I'd say yours is the best so far.

17. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I never seem to have the time to actually put some contents on my site, even if I have quite a lot that's almost finished :)o), but the CV has drawn some attention :))), though nothing concrete so I'm still job hunting :)().

18. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

My site JCRPhoto runs on PHP and mysql, i can add pictures and the PHP GD2 libraries resize the pictures, I can also log in and remove the pictures, there a few scripts you can get that do that but i decided to program this myself so it would be exactly as I wanted. I also have my list of Mac toys (in my signature) that is in my own server but users blogger to add stuff.

19. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

Excellent!

20. dcv macrumors G3

I noticed the download thing too. I'm using Safari and it downloads the main.swf to my desktop.

Anyway, I looked at the html version... wow, lots of really interesting pieces on there, but I particularly like 'dye sequence' by Jac Chartier. That would look fantastic in my living room :)

21. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

My Safari has no problems... one question: What's your screen resolution?

That's hanging in my office right behind my monitor, so I spend quite a bit of time looking at it. :)

22. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

That's you? :D I love your site. The hardware compatibility lists for OPENSTEP 4.2 in particular were a big help (in getting a working color display on my deCeleron). I just need to get a network card (the one I bought last time was some random chipset that I thought was TULIP but they changed it between "revisions," the bastards.

23. jlewis2k1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

oh yea theres profanity :eek:

24. jlewis2k1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

firefox 1.0.4 windows 2000

25. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I've never tested the site on Firefox... I can tell you that it works fine in IE for Windows *and* Mac and in Safari on the Mac. Does Firefox have the ability to open SWF files in their own windows? That's what should happen if your screen width is 1280 pixels or higher.