personal web sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mnkeybsness, Mar 24, 2003.

1. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

for some reason i am not able to turn on my personal web sharing. whenever i try to start it up, it just sits there doing nothing at all. i have installed the new security update, but it was doing this before today too...i have also repaired permissions and all the usual stuff...but i am getting nowhere...anybody know any way to help?

2. mnkeybsness thread starter macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

the reaoson i am doing this is so i can use myPhoto

and one of the requirements is to run a bunch of php enabling commands in the terminal...but when i try to restart apache, i get the following

3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

you need to edit that file.

line 628 /etc/httpd/httpd.conf should use 'AutoConfig' NOT 'AutoCongig'

4. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

i installed myphoto just a few days ago. great litrtle app.

it looks like you made a mistake in the directions. go to line 628 and see if you can see the mistake. if not post what is there here and we can take a look.

also it doesnt do any harm to restart the install process (per the manual) one fo the first steps is to backup httpd.conf so you can easily restore the original and start over.

5. mnkeybsness thread starter macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

thanks a lot AL and sparkleytone!

i was totally missing that...i guess i just wasn't looking closely enough when i typed everything in, especially at the error message!

thanks again

6. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

:) I usually just copy and paste when following directions such as those. That way when it goes wrong I can feel confident complaining to the author.

That install was a daunting one though. Congrats on getting it up and running, I am loving myPhoto. Be sure to email the author with thanks (and donate if you aren't a starving college student like the dev).

7. mnkeybsness thread starter macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i would have copy/pasted, but the author did the instructions in a pdf!

and i would donate...but i AM a starving college student!

8. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

you can copy and paste from a pdf. open in acrobat and push the text button (its a T with a ------ box next to it).

after that you can select text and copy and apste all you like.

9. mnkeybsness thread starter macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

ah i see!

the only thing is i am impatient and hate waiting for acrobat reader so instead i use "preview"

i would share a link, but my universities network is SO STUPID...no one, not even on the network (except me) is able to see anything, it always just comes up as "server cannot be found" (and yes, sharing is on)

10. Rufus macrumors newbie

Well, lots of things could be causing the "Server not found" message.

Can other people on your network publish web sites? Or does the university maybe block port 80 (http port)?

How is naming/IP assignment handled? Do you have a real, permanent IP address?

11. mnkeybsness thread starter macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

the network uses dynamic IPs...i hooked myself up with a permanent from www.ods.org

normally, when a computer is seen off the network, the IP address shows as x-*-*-*-dhcp.reshalls.umn.edu where the *s are the last three numbers in the IP address as shown in the network settings on the computer. i was able to hook up that address to mnkeybsness.ods.org and it works through kdx for anyone to log in, but for some reason it will not work at all through any browser, pc or mac.

correction: i just tried it on my room mates PC in internet explorer and it worked...so there is a possibility that it will work...i'll have to do some testing later

12. mnkeybsness thread starter macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

yah this network is so messed up

it works on his cmputer, but no one elses. all it does is says "page cannot be loaded"