Pesky Printer Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrSugar, Aug 26, 2004.

1. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

I am trying to set up a HP Laserjet 1012 on a 15" powerbook and getting annoying problems. I go to the Add printer function from the printer setup utility, it then says "new driver detected would you like to reload the browser?" I click yes to have it reload and the screen still says HP Laserjet 1012 - No driver installed. So I jumped on HP's website and downloaded the newest set of drivers, installed them and tried to run the same process, once again the same problem occured. Printer is connected via USB, and it works fine on a PC near by.

What am I doing wrong? Please help me to get this figured out.

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'm guessing that you are trying to add the printer by selecting it from the "USB" printer list. When installing HP drivers, HP will generally add its own Printer List type. Look for the HP LaserJet 1012 choice in the Printer List drop down list.

3. MrSugar thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

This might be it! I will try thanks!

4. MrSugar thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

This is the list I get, and none of the options install the printer correctly.

[​IMG]

Any other suggestions, please?

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

I can't see the image (or get to it from my browser). Can you simply attach the file to a message?

6. MrSugar thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

Sorry about that, my webserver is down right now =-(

Attached Files:

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

From the HP.com website:

:(

This may mean that if you're running 10.3.x you're out of luck.

You could try selecting another HP printer from the HP drop-down list...

Attached Files:

• hp.jpg
      hp.jpg
      File size:
      24.3 KB
      Views:
  8. MrSugar thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

I don't think I have sucessfully been able to get to that screen that you just showed.

It always says "printer model: auto select" and it is grayed out. I can never drop down the list and select a model.. how did you do that?

9. hoosker macrumors member

hoosker

MrSugar, this is exactly the problem I incountered with my wifes iBook (10.3) yesterday and I can't figure it out either!

I also have the 1012 (great affordable little laser) and have been using it with my G5 (10.3.3) for some time now without a hitch. As I remember when I frist set it up, all I did was choose the printer (under USB) and that was it. But with the iBook it listed it but would not let me select it as it also indicated no drivers installed.

Just wondering if the driver needed came with an update to OS 10.3 which my G5 had but the iBook does not. The 1012 is a fairly new and maybe the driver was not abvailable when 10.3 came out?? Thinking about updating the iBook to 10.3.4 and trying again.

What do you think?

PS Got the printer for $150 and it is amazingly fast.

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

You have to select the printer first (make sure it is highlighted in blue as in the screen grab) then it should work.

What hookster recommends is also a possibility, since if it is a newer printer, it may not appear in the list (although I am running 10.3.4 and I don't see it in mine).

11. MrSugar thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

Okay the pb is being updated to 10.3.5, I will let you know how it goes.

12. MrSugar thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

Okay, darn. So the pb has 10.3.5 now still wont install. Also, I can't get that drop down list... it wont let me even hightlight the printer. It says HP 1012 and has a ? on the icon, the only option you have is to click add down below. You can't select anything else.....

13. hoosker macrumors member

hoosker

Just one other thought. When having trouble once before when adding printers (I could not even get past clicking the "Add +" icon - it would just sit there) I deleted the printer pref. (can't remember which one) and that solved the problem. Does the pref file stay thru an OS update? Don't know if that experience applies to this issue.

running out of ideas...

14. MrSugar thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

Yeah, I am too, but I appreciate all the help.

I don't know where the printer pref is located.... hmmm anyone know so I can annihiliate it?

15. hoosker macrumors member

hoosker

I think it was something like com.apple.print.PrintCenter.plist in user/library/preferances/

16. hoosker macrumors member

hoosker

I know this is reaching but...

log in with another account and see if it makes a difference? I can't try it now but when I get home I will.

17. emw macrumors G4

emw

Another thought - it is apparent that you have several machines sitting around - do you also happen to have a router that connects them all? Perhaps a router with printer sharing?

Have you tried connecting the printer to your 17" PowerBook or G5 with any luck? If you could, you can share the printer through those devices.

18. MrSugar thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

this 15pb is not mine I am just helping out with it. The printer isn't being shared on a network unfortunetly.

I will try to get rid of that printers file, also will try logging in with a different account.

19. Mahzilla macrumors newbie

I just got this printer to work with a D link printer server. I'm using OS X 10.3.5 and had a few problems getting it to work. The solution is to use the HP LaserJet Series 6 driver. You can go to http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3 for the driver. Hope this helps.